Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently using a Fluval Spec 2.6 Gallon and the filter is a little strong, sometimes my Betta gets stuck to it. He's strong enough to swim out of it. I'm just wondering if being stuck to it causes them stress or if its actually okay and he can relax against the filter like that.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It is a stress. I recommend using some filter sponge to help block the flow from inside so he doesn't become totally stuck; you don't want to deal with that. Much easier to prevent than to treat! Fluval sells foam for the AquaClear's which is great because you can cut it up to a small size that you need and it should do the trick! Also, extra surfaces in your filter for good bacteria to accumulate on ^_^

Reactions: tuxkick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that I could just reduce the flow rate of the filter somehow, do you think the sponge is necessary even with the reduced flow rate or do you think a high flow rate is better for water circulation and just use the sponge to prevent him from getting stuck?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
If he hadn't had a problem with the larger flow then I'd say keep going with it and just baffle the intake if that's where he's getting stuck. Or try out the lower flow for a few days and see if he still does the same thing :)

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
In a 2.5g tank with a Spec filter and extra foam, any flow is plenty of flow.

A few live plants wouldn't hurt -- especially floaters

Welcome to the forum..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts