Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this sounds weird, but I am just making sure she doesn't have a problem and is doing something normal. My Betta when she sees me (only when she sees my face) will literally stick her little tongue out like a little lizard and lick at the glass quickly in one loud "slurp". It is so cute and funny, but I wonder if this is a normal thing or if my Betta is just a little quirky in her own way??

Do Bettas do this normally?

Oh and also, do female Bettas blow little bubbles out of happiness like males too? I have one that sticks her tongue out and blows little bubbles every now and again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but I'm happy to say you are not alone. My betta started sticking his tongue out at me when I came home about a month ago. He also has learned to throw rocks around to get my attention. I think Bettas are just sassy.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Also, bettas don't blow bubbles out of happiness. It's usually to suggest that they are ready to mate. Females will make small ones occasionally.
But yes, bettas don't have tongues. lol

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
After much googling, I have now learned that while fish do not have true "tongues," but many have a tongue-like feature in their mouth known as basihyals.
Yes. It looks nothing like our tongues, nor does it have the same kind of functions. It can't stick it out at you, lol.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Well I dont think they have "tongues." But this does sound pretty cute! I kind of laughed at first as well, when I heard tongue. lol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
After much googling, I have now learned that while fish do not have true "tongues," but many have a tongue-like feature in their mouth known as basihyals.
Basihyals are pieces of cartilage. Tongues are muscles.

It's only attributed as a tongue because it is in their mouth. Sharks for example have enormous basihyals which is the huge cartilage that attaches to their jaw. They do not perform the same function, nor are made of the same material.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Personally I have never seen my bettas tongue, but I think it would be very hard to see because of the glass and water in between not to mention the fleeting amount of time the mouth was open to see. I fish quite a bit so I've dealt with allot of fish mouths, and judging from catfish I could easily see if the betta's was similar at all how someone could construe it as a tongue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.