Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had Rip for 6 months. Over the last month he's lost his coloring. His fins have become transparent and appear more red than they were when I got him, and his body has gotten lighter, but he doesn't have fin rot or any other symptoms of illness. He has been still very active and has a good appetite. The only indication something might be wrong is his color loss. I've tried upping water changes to no avail. I have Paraguard and PraziPro on hand if need be but don't want to start medication if I don't have to. Tank is cycled and parameters have remained stable throughout the process. I did add some anubias, which I did a diluted bleach dip for, and Mopani wood that I boiled for a few hours, but quarantined both for a month before adding to my display tank.

I'm at a complete loss. Any advice?

Tank peramaters:
5g
78-82°F
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0ppm

Included: picture of now vs. When I first got Rip
Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant Vegetation
Green Plant Insect Organism Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
495 Posts
Doesn’t appear to be anything wrong ….just a fish with the marble gene! Enjoy I am sure he will change again and again. You could try brine shrimp treats or color enhancing food….he is beautiful!

·
Registered
~Neo (♂ red vt betta) ~"girlie" (♀ sunburst platy) ~Otto (♂ oto catfish) ~Archibald ( ♂ mys. snail)
231 Posts
I agree with @MABetta. It doesn't look like he's dulled at all but rather changed or transformed in color. Frozen brine shrimp are great for enhancing their colors among other things, and there are a lot of other great options for them to eat and have well-defined colors as well. But he looks beautiful and healthy and happy to me too, so I'd say MABetta was right and you probably have a guy with the marble gene. Lucky! :love:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts