Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Rip for 6 months. Over the last month he's lost his coloring. His fins have become transparent and appear more red than they were when I got him, and his body has gotten lighter, but he doesn't have fin rot or any other symptoms of illness. He has been still very active and has a good appetite. The only indication something might be wrong is his color loss. I've tried upping water changes to no avail. I have Paraguard and PraziPro on hand if need be but don't want to start medication if I don't have to. Tank is cycled and parameters have remained stable throughout the process. I did add some anubias, which I did a diluted bleach dip for, and Mopani wood that I boiled for a few hours, but quarantined both for a month before adding to my display tank. These were added 5ish months ago.

I'm at a complete loss. Any advice?

Tank peramaters:
5g
78-82°F
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0ppm

Included: picture of now vs. When I first got Rip

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've had Rip for 6 months. Over the last month he's lost his coloring. His fins have become transparent and appear more red than they were when I got him, and his body has gotten lighter, but he doesn't have fin rot or any other symptoms of illness. He has been still very active and has a good appetite. The only indication something might be wrong is his color loss. I've tried upping water changes to no avail. I have Paraguard and PraziPro on hand if need be but don't want to start medication if I don't have to. Tank is cycled and parameters have remained stable throughout the process. I did add some anubias, which I did a diluted bleach dip for, and Mopani wood that I boiled for a few hours, but quarantined both for a month before adding to my display tank. These were added 5ish months ago.

I'm at a complete loss. Any advice?

Tank peramaters:
5g
78-82°F
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0ppm

Included: picture of now vs. When I first got Rip
From what you describe it sounds like he's a marble going through a color change which is what marbles do best. No need to worry. But if you post a picture, we can confirm that that's all it is. I've got one here that's gone through three totally different color phases. And he's healthy as a horse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what you describe it sounds like he's a marble going through a color change which is what marbles do best. No need to worry. But if you post a picture, we can confirm that that's all it is. I've got one here that's gone through three totally different color phases. And he's healthy as a horse.
I'm not certain he's a marble. I suppose it's possible, but he's a black samurai with dragon scale genes. I thought I'd included photos in the original post but I guess they didn't go through! Here are some pictures, now vs. when I first got him.

Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Green Plant Insect Organism Terrestrial plant

1 - 3 of 3 Posts