Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that a betta can live in a cup. the ones at petsmart dont look happy thouhg... is this habitat fine?

·
Registered
416 Posts
No a betta can not live in a cup. A one gallon tank is the smallest home a betta can be in. Also in this 1 gallon you should get a heater, filter and some decorations. Like silk plants or little statues or something.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
No, this is a really common myth. And yes those betta are very unhappy. Since betta breathe air from the surface instead of with gills like most fish, people have thought of the horrible idea that they can live in horrible little cubes as decor. Betta come from Thailand, and they NEED a heater that heats to around 78F to be happy, which you can't do in a cup.
If you want a betta, invest in a heater and at least a 2 gallon tank from the start.
A cold betta sits at the bottom and keeps it's fins closed, not moving.
A happy warm betta will be VERY active, and swim around showing off his fins, which is much more attractive than a cold betta in a "designer betta tank". A happy healthy betta will constantly entertain you with a very show off-y personality and they are really a joy to have :)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
No it is not
I would suggest getting atleast a 2.5 gallon tank. Some silk plants a hidey hole decor and some gravel or sand. Put them inside the tank. Fill with tap water. Dose with decholinater. Purchase an aquarium heater. Heat to 80-82F and then fishy will be happy.
That is the MIN for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My betta started in a 3 gallon, but I have recently upgraded him to a 5 gallon. I've been reading up a lot on betta health & it seems that they do OK in tanks as small as 1 gallon, but the more room to swim around - the better! And the less likely they are to have problems with constipation & such. I started looking into this when my betta suddenly became very bloated & I got very worried. Here's the one I got from walmart.com - really affordable ($25) and it comes with a filter so you would just need to buy a heater & plants. Also try to feed him a mix of pellets (soaked in water for ~10 minutes first) & fresh or frozen food. Good luck! :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-gal-Tank-Aquarium-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/14660258

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh, btw Bob Buttons is no longer bloated and seems very happy & healthy in his new home. I also got him things to hide in & a leaf hammock to lounge on and he uses both all the time! Hope this helps - Have fun designing your little guy's home!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts