Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

After buying one of those suction cup plants for Soap (my betta), which he loves and sleeps in, I think I will get him the Betta Hammock also from ZooMed. I can get it at a local retailer. I just want to see if anyone else has it and what they think of it. :)

Thanks!

Kbud

·
Registered
210 Posts
i saw it and i thought to myself i can make one!! which i did, and i bigger, better and cheaper then the ones they sell, ill post a pic of it later tonight after i get home

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have one. My betta hardly uses it, don't waste your money. It has a metal wire in it which can rust. There was a member here, her betta was killed because of the wire poking out. I took mine out, it was pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have one. My betta hardly uses it, don't waste your money. It has a metal wire in it which can rust. There was a member here, her betta was killed because of the wire poking out. I took mine out, it was pretty easy.
You need to take the metal wire out with pliers. It took a week or two for my Fred to know it's for resting. He then lounges on it like a sofa when he was in the 2.5g MBT. But after moving to the 5.5g tank, he stopped using it and started resting on the floating Wisteria.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm pretty sure my snail uses it more often than my betta...

·
Registered
210 Posts
i was thinking of getting a hammock because i noticed that my betta liked laying down on my fake plant, the plant rose pretty high near the top of the tank and was fairly flat.

here i made a hammock 6 inches long (the leaf itself, thats maybe double of the one u buy at the store!!) from a silk plant leaf (it was free but if u dont have it u can find some at a dollar store with alot of various plant types, a dollar for a bundle of plants) and again a suction cup (a pack of 4 for a dollar)from the dollar store, luckily this one had a hole in the center already if not, drill of poke a hole in it to attach the stem part of the plant. so for 2 bucks u can make a few hammocks. this leaf had no metal wire but its strong plastic stem could be shaped ever so slightly to what form i liked :) heres a pic, my betta also decided to start building his bubble nest above it. if your betta doesnt exhibit laying on top on leaves/plants then it will probably be a waste of money to get one. but u can train him to do it by feeding him only on top the hammock. got mine to eat the pellet off my finger too :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is so neat. I bought one of those betta hammocks, but still haven't got it out of the package. I think I will return it to the store and make one like you did.

Now, do you think the silk plants from JoAnns crafts would work just as good? I see silk plants in there all the time for flower arrangements. Also, do all suction cups from the dollar store have that hole in them? Did you have to glue the leaf into the hole at all?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just make sure the leafs don't have a wire going thru them. I've bought 2 different types of suction cups from different dollar stores and only 1 had the hole thru it, make sure u dont pierce it past the suction otherwise it wont stick. No I didn't have to glue it, i had to poke to the hole with a fork to widen it abit but i just jammed it in and i was set to go.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is so helpful! Thank you SO much. I love the picture. I will make one this weekend, and give away or sell the rest, since I only have room for one. In the meantime, I didn't know you could teach your betta tricks! Thanks so much! I'll have to try that!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The ZooMed suction cup plants also have hidden metal that will rust. Mine loved his as well, but it rusted and may well have poisoned his water. I read you had one so...I thought I'd warn you about them.

·
Registered
737 Posts
You can pull the wire out of both the Zoo Med hammocks and suction-cup plants. It's not hard, and it takes only a couple of minutes with a pair of pliers. I mention this because my first attempt to home-make a betta hammock did not work and you will need to wait at least two days for the silicone to cure before putting it in the tank.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
From what I have noticed with all of my bettas is the ones with the bigger heavier fins love the hammocks the ones with smaller lighter fins don use the as much.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You have to keep it close to the surface or your betta won't use it. My betta didn't use his when I put him in a tank with a filter because the water moved too much. He used it in his unfiltered tank, though. My other betta would sleep on the suction cup perpendicularly. lol. My female bettas never used theirs.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like this thread, might i add that i made one by taking a suction cup and using aquarium silicon connected a shell that had no shard edges to it. I'm am suprised that you have to cure the silicon for only 2 days, i did it for a week because i was not sure. But the hammock works great for my veiltail! God luck makiing yours!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts