Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta fish has this white dot on his head as well as some tiny ones on his body that can only be seen up close. I first noticed it when I was putting him into my tank when I got home from the pet shop. At first I thought the dot on the head was just a scale that had lost its colour but now that I have noticed the smaller dots that are on his body I think it may be something else. Another thing that I have been slightly worried about is his top fin which looks bent and kind of curls over to one side. It is strange because his behaviour seems normal for a betta fish, he is blowing bubbles and making nests and at night he rests on one of his silk plants leafs, his bridge, or the gravel. However, he is kind of lazy and I sometimes see him lying on the gravel underneath his leaf during the day.

I have had him for 7 days now and set the tank up with a filter, a heater, and aquasafe around a week and a half before I got the fish. On the day I got him I used safestart before I acclimated him and put him in the tank. I did notice that some of the other betta fish at the pet shop were in a bad condition and were in very small tanks (1 even looked dead), but the one I chose looked pretty healthy and my 25 litre tank is a huge improvement from what they had him in. It would be great if you could diagnose any issues that my betta fish has and recommend any treatment for him.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 26 degrees celcius
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? the filter has one I think
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No tankmates

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hugo Kamishi
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Tropical Fish Flakes
How often do you feed your Betta? Once a day and sometimes I skip a day How much? a very tiny amount, about a pinch

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? did a 25% water change the day before I got the fish and havent done it again because the safestart instructions recommended that I didnt do another water change for 2 weeks, and the water looks very clean.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

I called the pet shop asking them if they did water testing and they said that they did but when I got there they told me that they didnt have the testing kit so I wasnt able to get my water tested. But the guy at the shop told me that my water would be okay for the introduction of fish if I was using safestart.

Symptoms and Treatment:
Is your Betta still eating? My betta is still eating, he chews on the flakes and spits them out to break them up before eating them
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I havent
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? I am not sure I have only recently got him
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? I have owned him for 7 days, and I guess he was a rescue since his tank looked very small at the pet shop

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Organism Fish

Blue Cobalt blue Electric blue Freshwater aquarium Organism

Fish Fish Marine biology Organism Aquarium

Macro photography Snapshot Yellow Organism Leaf

Green Organism Aquarium Plant Wildlife

Leaf Flower Plant Organism Aquatic plant

·
Registered
846 Posts
The curled fins may just be a side effect of poor water quality at the store. The white spot is kinda hard to see any detail on, but it looks like maybe just a missing scale? If it's fuzzy looking then it may be fungal. Jungle brand products are rather good for less money. For water testing, Amazon has API Master Test Kits for a decent price.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.