Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this new Betta on November 30th, my previous betta had gotten fin rot and sadly passed away so now I am super cautious about my new guy. His name is Shark, he is a double tail. And in the last three days I have noticed his back fin being clamped. His bottom and top fin are still nice but the middle on is getting progressively worse. He has three different types of live plants in his tank. I'm worried the pressure of the filter is too much for him so I've been turning it off at times for him. Here is all the info on him.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.6 Gallon Fluval Spec 3
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Red Cherry Shrimp (havent seen him in a couple days though!)

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari Pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Frozen Blood Worms once or twice a week
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
2 Pellets a day, and then nothing to eat on sundays

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 2 water changes a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25% to 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? Fluval Water Conditioner and sometimes their biological enchancer.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. NOTICE : These numbers are of today, I did a water change yesterday and will be doing another one tomorrow.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 10
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness (GH): 75
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Three days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Back fin has continued to clamp
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not as energetic, laying at the bottom of his tank instead of swimming around
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Ive begun taking some cups of his water and adding less than a teaspoon of aquarium salt and mixing it in the cup water till it is disolved. Also using a little stresscoat.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of, he looks young
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? I've only had him for 7 days and I got him from Petsmart. He was the healthiest and most active of all the Bettas there.

Like I said I've had some pretty bad luck with Bettas in the past and I've already gotten attached to this little guy so please let me know what to do. I have most of the medical treatments that I need to treat fin rot in case he gets it too but I hope it doesnt come to that.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Please post pictures

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you can see he is still flaring and being somewhat active, but not as much as before and he definately has gotten worse since yesterday. I'm going to be taking him out of his tank today and doing a 75% water change but I'm just not sure what else I can do!!!

·
Banned
83 Posts
First off, that is not a double tail. Secondly from what I can see he has fin melt which from my understanding, is caused by a very persistent kind of bacteria. And it's contagious too. You'll need to treat it in a similar fashion to velvet because that's pretty much the only thing that actually works. Use a combination of malachite green, methylene blue, and acriflavine. And keep the tank dark and warm. Depending on severity, it can take from 2+ weeks to get rid of it, and that's on weekly repeated treatment

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Do a 50-80% water change, the nitrite should be at zero at all times!!! But it does look like fin melt, you need to take imeadiate action. Start with AQ, you'll need to do some research on it.
Pretty mich what tigress said, he's a dragon scale half moon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for correcting me I wasnt sure what he was, obviously looking back now he is not a double tail.

Anyways, its been a little less than a week and I've been doing 25% to 50% water changes every day. Checking his water conditions every other day just in case. I've increased his temp to about 82F and he has a towel over him for most of the day and night other than feeding and when I change his water.

I've been using Aquarium Salt, the tinest bit of melafix (i've had good luck with this in the past) and stress coat with each water change along with his beneficial bacteria. He now has three small splits in his fin instead of those two big ones but his bottom him has gotten a little worse.

My question is I still see no 'gold dusting' or any signs of velvet other than the darting around and he occasionally rubs past a plant but he likes hiding under them. Is there any reason I should go full out on the velvet treatment or could my treatment possibly cure him?

P.S With the holidays coming up, I'm going to be leaving for 7 days. Would it be safe to bring him with me in a smaller tank? Unfiltered? Its only about 1.5 gallons but I'd obviously do 100% water changes everyday, he'd also have a small heater. I'm just worried about it stressing him out and making his sickness worse. any advice for travelling with a sick betta would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IN CASE ANYONE HAS ANY SYMPTOMS SIMILAR TO THIS:

I have amazing news! Its been 4 days since my betta was laying on his side with his fins clamped to his body so tight that I didn't think he would make it. But I went to a small local fish store that specializes in only fresh and salt water fish and they recommended Rapid-Cure by Kordon. Never heard of it before now but the ingredients are what matter.

Triethylene glycol, polyvinylpyrrolidone K-29 and Malachite Green.

In case you need this medicine I highly recommend it, I did two days worth of treatment and last night I put my carbon back in and added a little stresscoat for my little guy. I'm continuing to keep his tank around the 82 mark intill he is completely healed, but so far his bottom fin and half of his back fin is spread and back to normal and he's happier than ever! Hopefully this helps anyone else that has similar symptoms to my guy, apparently its a symptom of fin rot and its not very common.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts