2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes but not using it now
What temperature is your tank? 83 f
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? Yes What kind? Bottom feeder (plecostomus)

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari betta bio-gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? Twice a day How much? About 5 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? He was in a filtered one gallon tank by himself before he got sick and i changed the water completely every week. In his new tank (5 gallon), I now vacuum about 25% to 30% every 3 weeks
What percentage of water did you change! About 25% to 30% now
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? Jungle correct 3h occasionally

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 84
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Ill get the rest of numbers as soon as possible I just wanted to get this out there to try to get my betta help

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About 1.5 to 2 months ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? The growth has gotten way bigger and now over the last couple hours his eye had gotten cloudy and he seems to have a hard time finding the pellets
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not really maybe a little less active but still always very hungry until today he seems like he can't find the food as well
Is your Betta still eating? Was eating very normally until just today he seems to be having a lil trouble finding it
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes about 2 months ago with api liquid super ick cure only for one day (supposed to be used for 7) then stopped when it changed the tubes green
Decided to use melafix shortly after trying liquid ick cure (for 7 days as prescribed ) about two or more months ago
Maybe a month ago used api Pimafix for fungal infections (for 7 days as prescribed )
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Only this issue with the growth
How long have you owned your Betta? Since April Was he or she a rescue? Not a rescue from Walmart

About 2 months ago I noticed my betta Kayako had a small growth on his head so I looked it up on the Internet and couldn't find anything so I went to petsmart and tried to describe the symptoms as best as I could and purchased medicine that was suggested by employees: super ick cure medicine used it for a day only because it turned the tubes green and then stopped, changed water in tank and then a few days later used melafix for once a day for 7 days as directed

I then moved him into a 5 gallon tank from a one gallon filtered tank. The growth has gotten worse and then kind of collasped a week or so ago but has continued to grow. He had a bottom feeder with him that died about 3 weeks ago and then about a week ago we added another bottom feeder to his 5 gallon tank.

If anyone has any ideas what to do save him I would be forever grateful, he is a beautiful fish which I would love to see healthy again.

P.s. i use new spring water gallons to change water

Attachments

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Unfortunately that looks like textbook Lymphocytosis. Untreatable but manageable. You won't be able to rid him of it but he should live fine with it. Keep an eye on him. Warm clean water is the best thing for it. Just a warning if you have other fish it is contagious so don't cross contaminate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts