Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a new account to post this, so sorry if I come off as obviously new, but I need some advice. I got my betta a little over a month ago. He had a lump on his side when I got him that I assumed was a tumor. Just this morning, I saw some white marks developing on the lump. From what it looks like, some scales have come off and the white appears to be exposed tissue. I'm not sure if this is an infection or not, and I don't want to medicate without knowing what it is. Here's a picture, although it doesn't photograph well.

He's showing no other signs of illness.
Info:
Housing: Tank is 5g, temp 79F, filtered and heated. He has no tank mates, and there are no live plants.
Food: He gets 5-6 Omega pellets, crushed, per day.

Maintenance: I've been trying to cycle the tank but haven't been successful so far. Right now there are 0 nitrates and 0 nitrites; I've been doing partial water changes every other day to keep ammonia down. I've been considering getting some Tetra safestart to help the cycle. I use API stresscoat to treat the water.
PH: about 7.5; hardness unknown

Symptoms and Treatment: The lump hasn't appeared to get bigger since I got him, but the scales coming off is new. When I got him he was an animal in a research lab; he wasn't too healthy but has improved drastically since. I don't know for sure how old he is but I'd estimate between 6 months and a year. His behavior is normal; normal energy and appetite. I have not treated him with anything.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Looks to me like the tumor is pushing it's way out. Can you get some top down and close up pictures with more light?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Yea, the tumor is growing and pushing out. That's likely the tip of the iceberg. I'll be frank, it's right where his organs are and as it's growing it will be pushing on them. It will eventually kill him, when is anyone's guess. Sadly there is nothing you can do but keep him happy, healthy, and in a clean environment. There may come a time when his quality of life is gone and you may have to make the hard choice to euthanise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was pretty certain it was a tumor and was planning on keeping him happy for as long as he lasted. As long there's nothing else that can be done I'm content with that. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Welcome :) You obviously take good care of him, I'm sure he's had a great life to make up for it. I just didn't want you to be surprised if he suddenly started going down hill or passed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My betta fish had a lump like this on his left side (buldging lump,raised scales,look to be full of hard fluid)for a long time 5 months or so, seemed fine,I also thought it was a tumor, but I think I was wrong! Cus know he's super swollen and stuck to the bottom of the tank hes sad, his whole belly now looks a lil yellowish and scales raised :(.....does he swim normal? Sink or float? I would watch for this, that's what happened to my betta. I think it could be some kind of internal gut infection that may have lead to swim bladder also once it progresses. I don't know much, except what happen to my boy:( if u tank is not cycled I would treat him with methylene blue, pretty safe fugi, viral, bacterial killer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts