Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Over a week ago, Pepsi stopped eating and started acting lethargic. I changed the water, he is in an 8 gallon tank filtered heated planted tank (higher ph, but ammonia and nitrates were 0 ) which has been cycled and has only one fish. His heater broke, so for a day he was a bit cold.

He had white stringy poop so I assumed it was parasites, treated him with prazi pro and epson salt in case it was constipation. His poop went back to brown but since he has not eaten in almost two weeks, he has not really pooped.

I use prime as a water conditioner, but no other additives. I basically have changed the water every day, he is in a 2.5 gallon hospital tank, and have left out all medications after seven days.

I tried feeding him brine shrimp but he just spit it out, and now continues to sit at the bottom of the tank. He looks really skinny and I can actually see his swim bladder.

I have betta revive and kanaplex on hand but I do not want to medicate him unnecessarily. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Try giving him live bloodworms, remember betta can go several weeks without food so there is no need to panic, is he able to swim well or not?

·
Super Moderator
2,735 Posts
Please answer the questions below, do you have any pics:

Normally for his poop, white and not stringy is indicative of parasites, white AND stingy is indicative of bacterial.

Are there any other symptoms, maybe odd coloring on him? The loss of appetite is worrying me as well. I've heard or a fish starting out with a parasitic infection and weakening to where a bacterial infection took them. I'd hate to treat him unnecessarily as well, but if he's starting to look really bad, I'd start him on a round of Kanaplex.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Bettas can go a long time without food, so I wouldn't worry about him not eating just yet. If the temperature in his tank dropped fast, it could have lowered his immune system and let a bug get a foothold.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Agreed on the bloodworms suggestion, I would be surprised if he turned those down. Live is best, but if you can't get your hands on those, frozen would also do the trick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon hospital tank
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets, hariku gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day (4 pellets, small size they say up to 10 pellets 3 times a day)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily (hospital tank)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% in hosptial tank, 25% weekly in planted filtered 8 gal
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? seachem prime used to be tetra water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? not in the hospital tank bcs of frequent water changes. Ammonia from tap is .25 and alkaline, hard water

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white discolorations, doesn't look like fungus, just like lighter scales, grey around mouth, faded colours since he has gotten sick
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, won't eat, lies on his side at the bottom of the tank, but is able to swim up for air, blows bubble nests, and jumped out of acclamitizing cup into the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Betta revive, after a week of epson salts, started eating after betta revive (a few pellets)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? fin rot - he is a petstore rescue,
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3 years old

Update:

He ate four pellets (my other half fed him and he actually ate them) so I couldn't put a stop to over eating. The betta revive seems to have an antibiotic in it that might be helping, so I think I will add the kanaplex after the next water change, and see if that helps him. He seems to have a red spot on the outside of his gills, I think it might be a sore. The betta revive seems to have a mild antibiotic in it so I"m thinking of just using the kanaplex for the full dose to knock out bacteria and not breed resistance. Thanks for the suggeston Veloran. Hopefully it's not fish tb, but it seems to be moving too quickly. Maybe just a simple internal infection.

I've tried brine shrim, will try frozen blood worms. I don't think I can have live worms, I'm already pushing my luck with being immuno compromised (kidney failure sucks) and having an aquarium. Blood worms might carry some disease that might really put me at risk. Hence pellets, human grade cat food, and frozen brine shrimp in this house.

I will take pics when I change the water, as right now it's blue so I don't think it will do any good for his colouring (blue and red fish)

Keeping my fingers crossed, Pepsi seems to want to keep swimming around, so I haven't given up on him ;) Thanks so much for all the advice

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I have been treating him with Kanaplex and Old Man's beard tea (basically a broad spectrum antibiotic cocktail for two weeks with daily water changes. He seems to be eating better, occasionally swimming around, and generally doing better. He has one red spot on the outside of his gills, and a bit of fin rot.

I am thinking of continuing treatment for a week or two more. Is there a time limit on Kanaplex, or can this possibly be fish tuberculosis? I know that if it is fish tb i know treatment should be continued for three months.

Thanks in advance for all your help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts