Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So my betta, Sebastian, has had this weird bump on his side for at least a month, maybe up to 2. At first I just figured he bumped into something in his tank and got a little wound, but it'd heal. Well it doesn't seem to be getting any better, in fact I'm pretty sure it's doubled in size. Here are some pictures.

It looks greenish when a light is shined on it (in this case my phone camera light). In normal light in the tank, it just looks like a bump under the scales.

Just yesterday, I went out and bought stress coat and aquarium salt in hopes of that healing him. I did a water change and added that stuff in. The stress coat dose is doubled as it says to do to repair damaged fins and skin. From all of my searching, I haven't been able to find anyone that's had anything like this. I can't tell if it's something like a parasite or if it's just an infected wound. But he's acting perfectly normal, as he was before he ever had the bump. Any suggestions on what I should do to heal him/does anyone have any idea what this is?

I'll continue using the stress coat and aquarium salt. How often should I do water changes? I normally try to do one a week, but from what I've read, I need to be doing more whether he's sick or he just has a wound of some sort.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
It could be a tumor. I don't think it is the result of a wound. Wounds usually heal relatively quickly, and don't get bigger unless whatever is causing the wound is still causing it (for example, an external parasite at that particular location, but you would see evidence of parasites elsewhere). For tumors, sadly, there is little you can do about them. My first female had a tumor and lived quite happily (for a fish with a tumor) for about 6 or 7 months before it got so big it caused swimming difficulties. She showed no other signs of illness before the tumor caused her to lose her ability to swim. At that point in time, I lowered her water level significantly and kept her as comfortable as I could. Even then, she still had her spunky attitude for about another month. After that, it was obvious the tumor was causing her discomfort, she only lived a few weeks after that.

Keep an eye on him, and watch for other signs of illness. If it continues to get bigger, watch him for signs of discomfort, and then make him as comfortable as possible before either euthanizing him or letting nature take its course.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I can't see the spot well enough to see if I think it to be a tumor or a cyst.

Is the bump look to be on the exterior of the scales, or the interior? Does it look to be a hard mass, or does it look to be clear and\or fluid filled?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well dang, that's not the news I wanted to hear. :( I just got him a little over 6 months ago, and he's such a great fish! But okay.

Greenapp1es - It's not clear for sure. It has the green shimmery appearance when I have the light on it. Otherwise it just looks like a bump (I think under his skin) that's the same color as the rest of his scales. If it is a cyst, might it eventually go away?

Here it is closer up. Still blurry but yeah.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts