Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
I have my betta for almost a year now, he lives in 5gallons marinaland aquarium with carbon filter and foam sponge filter too. I have there 2 live plants and some small snails. Last week I noticed that he got some white thing on the one side. I am not sure what is it but I think maybe fungus. I bought the Lifeguard tetra treatment, change 25% of water and removed carbon filter. I used it for 8 days now but there is no improvement. As it says on the medication I did one time 25% change of water after 5 days of use, and I also added freshwater salt and bettafix there.
I went to day to other store and got Kordon methylene blue and Kordon Rid Ich plus. Now I am not sure should I try the Rid Ich plus or just try with methylene blue? Please help. I don’t want to loose the fish and not even sure what am I treating 100%.

questionnaire :
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5gl
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? The heater has pre-set temperature so it heats up to 78-80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No, just snails

Food:
What food brand do you use? Betta bits by northfin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Also bloodworms by tetra
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? One time per day, every day, 3-5 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 2 weeks or so
What percentage of water did you change? 30% approximately
What is the source of your water? Tap water. I would put it in the container and add there conditioner before I put in the tank
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Yes
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? I have also food for life plants. Nutrafin aqua plus and Nutrafin plant gro.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
Just measured with freshwater master kit:
Ammonia: 1.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness (GH): 80
Alkalinity (KH): 120

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 1 week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? I think it become little bigger
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He was more on the bottom of the tank
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Tried lifeguard by tetra, and tried salt for freshwater, and bettafix.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Almost a year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No
Azure Underwater Fish Fin Marine biology
Plant Eye Blue Scaled reptile Reptile
Plant Vertebrate Purple Leaf Branch

Azure Underwater Fish Fin Marine biology

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi guys,
I have my betta for almost a year now, he lives in 5gallons marinaland aquarium with carbon filter and foam sponge filter too. I have there 2 live plants and some small snails. Last week I noticed that he got some white thing on the one side. I am not sure what is it but I think maybe fungus. I bought the Lifeguard tetra treatment, change 25% of water and removed carbon filter. I used it for 8 days now but there is no improvement. As it says on the medication I did one time 25% change of water after 5 days of use, and I also added freshwater salt and bettafix there.
I went to day to other store and got Kordon methylene blue and Kordon Rid Ich plus. Now I am not sure should I try the Rid Ich plus or just try with methylene blue? Please help. I don’t want to loose the fish and not even sure what am I treating 100%.

questionnaire :
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5gl
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? The heater has pre-set temperature so it heats up to 78-80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No, just snails

Food:
What food brand do you use? Betta bits by northfin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Also bloodworms by tetra
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? One time per day, every day, 3-5 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 2 weeks or so
What percentage of water did you change? 30% approximately
What is the source of your water? Tap water. I would put it in the container and add there conditioner before I put in the tank
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Yes
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? I have also food for life plants. Nutrafin aqua plus and Nutrafin plant gro.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
Just measured with freshwater master kit:
Ammonia: 1.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness (GH): 80
Alkalinity (KH): 120

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 1 week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? I think it become little bigger
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He was more on the bottom of the tank
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Tried lifeguard by tetra, and tried salt for freshwater, and bettafix.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Almost a year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No View attachment 1031528 View attachment 1031529 View attachment 1031527 View attachment 1031528 View attachment 1031529
View attachment 1031527 View attachment 1031527
After checking ammonia level, I changed 50% of water and clean everything one more time, added zeolite blend for ammonia neutralize .
let me know if I should treat my fish later or I can do it now

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like a tumour or cyst. There isn’t much you can do for either. In the case that it’s a fungal infection you could try some aquarium salt.
After I measured ammonia and other parameters, I added zeolite blend, do you how long does it takes to get rid of ammonia? I will measure tomorrow again but I am scared to do anything now before parameters go back to normal.
I also don’t know if my other parameters are okay, what should be good for betta? Ph and GH and KH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
U might be right with the fungus but I’m not sure about that one. Pretty fish!
So should I try to treat first with Kordon Rid itch plus first or just try methylene blue? I also not sure if I can use Rid Itch Plus just in the tank or I should move the betta to some other container.
mans for example if I move him, how do I make sure the tank itself clean from diseases?

·
Registered
680 Posts
With ammonia in the water, I would for sure use Seachem Prime since it will protect him from ammonia burn etc while you are working on getting stable parameters.

He’s also looking a bit thin. You can safely feed him more, a few pellets over 2-3 times per day so that he can put on some more weight. Having a good diet is important for them when they fight off ailments regardless of what that may be :)

I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this, it’s never fun to worry about our pets. Hopefully the salt Sara suggested will help him.

I keep re-reading the part where you say you cleaned everything again. Do you mean as in fully scrubbed out his entire tank and everything inside it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With ammonia in the water, I would for sure use Seachem Prime since it will protect him from ammonia burn etc while you are working on getting stable parameters.

He’s also looking a bit thin. You can safely feed him more, a few pellets over 2-3 times per day so that he can put on some more weight. Having a good diet is important for them when they fight off ailments regardless of what that may be :)

I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this, it’s never fun to worry about our pets. Hopefully the salt Sara suggested will help him.

I keep re-reading the part where you say you cleaned everything again. Do you mean as in fully scrubbed out his entire tank and everything inside it?
I cleaned his tank first a week ago or maybe 10 days ago and changed 25-30% of water, the in 4-5 days I changed 25% of water again (10 days ago I removed carbon filter to give the lifeguard).
Yesterday I was going to change 25% and scrap little bit of walls but when measured ammonia, I ended up changing 50% of water and scraped walls very well, took out Marimo balls to wash them and put them in separate container. Took out his house and cleaned and took out the filter pump (and tried to clean inside the tube as much as I could).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will get seashem prime. I just don’t know what should I do, very confused. In the pet store they told me if I use Kordon Rid Ich plus I will need to turn off light for him for 3 days and give him no food for 3 days.
but if you say he looks little thin, should I still keep him with no food for 3 days when I begin treatment? I am assuming I can only begin treatment when parameters in the water will be good for him, right?
Should I get him maybe some other food? Or that what I have is okay?

·
Registered
742 Posts
This is my opinion and suggestion for your guy. I would not put Ich meds in there because it doesn’t look like ich. I would only use ich meds for ich as a last resort because there are other things you can do. I have a girl that I thought might have had gill flukes turns out she had hurt her gill but I moved her to a hospital tank and did the lifeguard. I was able to completely finish the 5 day round because of the ammonia spike and had to take her out and do almost 100% water change. So I put aquarium salt in the new water to help her heal. Aquarium salt is a good healer if you don’t use to much. Oh and I also put the filter back in. So after all that said your main goal is to get your perimeters down and try to keep them down.. I would do the prime and do 25-30 % water changes weekly. Since he is eating and I don’t know anything about the brand of food you mentioned, I would feed him twice a day the 3-5 pellets. I totally understand the not knowing what something is and desperately wanting to help them. (Doing that right now) Could he have possibly hit his side on a decorator and scraped it and the cells are trying to heal it? what you could do before putting his little body through more meds and give it a break is put in some Indian almond leaves and/or rooibos tea in his tank. They have a calming and antibacterial benefits. Just in case it is just a wound trying to heal itself and why it’s white is the scales are gone. But as BettaloverSara mentioned it may be a cyst or tumor or do the salt if it’s fungus. Picture are good but we don’t see what you see so it’s hard to tell if it is fuzzy or not sometimes. I really hope your guy starts feeling better soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe do some more reasearch before giving any medicine
I am trying to, but I am not sure th
This is my opinion and suggestion for your guy. I would not put Ich meds in there because it doesn’t look like ich. I would only use ich meds for ich as a last resort because there are other things you can do. I have a girl that I thought might have had gill flukes turns out she had hurt her gill but I moved her to a hospital tank and did the lifeguard. I was able to completely finish the 5 day round because of the ammonia spike and had to take her out and do almost 100% water change. So I put aquarium salt in the new water to help her heal. Aquarium salt is a good healer if you don’t use to much. Oh and I also put the filter back in. So after all that said your main goal is to get your perimeters down and try to keep them down.. I would do the prime and do 25-30 % water changes weekly. Since he is eating and I don’t know anything about the brand of food you mentioned, I would feed him twice a day the 3-5 pellets. I totally understand the not knowing what something is and desperately wanting to help them. (Doing that right now) Could he have possibly hit his side on a decorator and scraped it and the cells are trying to heal it? what you could do before putting his little body through more meds and give it a break is put in some Indian almond leaves and/or rooibos tea in his tank. They have a calming and antibacterial benefits. Just in case it is just a wound trying to heal itself and why it’s white is the scales are gone. But as BettaloverSara mentioned it may be a cyst or tumor or do the salt if it’s fungus. Picture are good but we don’t see what you see so it’s hard to tell if it is fuzzy or not sometimes. I really hope your guy starts feeling better soon.
thank you! I measured parameters today. Ammonia drop to 0.5ppm. PH now 7.6 (difficult to say with the colors shades). I see that I have Fluval biological enhancer , does it do the same as seashem prime?
I will try to take more photos, I think when he swim I can see that inside the white thing is more like something red, maybe it is a wound…
Does anyone know if bettafix safe to use as well for this purpose? It says on the bottle to use 18 drops per quarts, but I have almost 20 quarts, don’t feel safe to put half a bottle to the tank…

·
Registered
218 Posts
Biological enhancer is bottled bacteria. Prime is a water conditioner that binds harmful ammonia and nitrites while your tank stabilizes.

It looks like a tumour to me but as all have said, hard to tell. If it is fuzzy, that would indicate fungus. If it looks smooth/hard, tumour.

Def up his food. Mine eat the same food... 5-6 pellets twice a day. Sometimes more.

Your water quality indicates you need to up your water changes too. A 5 gallon with a snail or two would need 50% weekly using a gravel vac once cycled. You have ammonia so not cycled. Change 30% every 2-3 days for a few weeks and that should get things stable. Also, are you changing filter cartridges or rinsing in tap water? This will kill all of your bacteria and crash your cycle. You do not need to change media unless it is literally falling apart (can take years). Just give it a rinse in old tank water when doing a water change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Biological enhancer is bottled bacteria. Prime is a water conditioner that binds harmful ammonia and nitrites while your tank stabilizes.

It looks like a tumour to me but as all have said, hard to tell. If it is fuzzy, that would indicate fungus. If it looks smooth/hard, tumour.

Def up his food. Mine eat the same food... 5-6 pellets twice a day. Sometimes more.

Your water quality indicates you need to up your water changes too. A 5 gallon with a snail or two would need 50% weekly using a gravel vac once cycled. You have ammonia so not cycled. Change 30% every 2-3 days for a few weeks and that should get things stable. Also, are you changing filter cartridges or rinsing in tap water? This will kill all of your bacteria and crash your cycle. You do not need to change media unless it is literally falling apart (can take years). Just give it a rinse in old tank water when doing a water change.
Thank you. I took more pictures, it does look little fuzzy but still I can see here some kind of whole inside:
Water Blue Underwater Purple Organism
Water Blue Underwater Purple Organism
Water Blue Fin Organism Fluid

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with my betta. He has had the tumour/ulcer for two months. Water is OK. Now the fish has stopped eating. He tries some of the food and spits it out. He is only active part of the time. Any advice. In the meantime I will try ESHA 2000 to cover possible bacteria infection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have exactly the same problem with my betta. He has had the tumour/ulcer for two months. Water is OK. Now the fish has stopped eating. He tries some of the food and spits it out. He is only active part of the time. Any advice. In the meantime I will try ESHA 2000 to cover possible bacteria infection.
I gave my fish a bath with methylene blue for 10 minutes, over these 3 days, I think on top of the wound it was some fungus, so now it looks just more flat. But still wound is there.
Added indian almond leaves and rooibos tea to the water and will leave him now like that for little bit to see if he is getting better or worse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts