Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 3 weeks now I have young betta in my 29 gallon community tank.
Everything seems to be fine, he lives with Honey Gouramis, 2 Bolivian Rams and Panda Corys.
I have one concern though. My betta is definitely overeating:sneaky:. I can't avoid it. Every morning when I feed my fish he simply eat as much as he can, or even more then he can. And it's not betta food this are flakes and pellets for tropical fish.
That's why I started to wonder if this project is working correctly? My Betta chase Gouramis little bit, but nothing harmful. Rams and Corys he ignores. But he looks like balloon every morning. Picture below.

Does anyone have similar experience? And is there something that I can do to improve the situation?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The most immediate option, but probably not the most reasonable for long-term, is to put him in a cup or otherwise physically separate him from the other fish while you feed them. That way he can't get to their food at all.

A better solution would be to train him to get his food at one end of the tank, and feed the other fish in another spot. Use especially tasty foods like frozen or live when you first start to make sure he's more interested in it than the tropical flakes. He'll be distracted with his own food and hopefully won't get more than scraps from the general feeding, instead of gorging himself.

You can also try feeding smaller amounts to the other fish periodically through the day, putting it right in front of them (if they aren't skittish of your hands/tongs) to help prevent the betta from stealing it.

If you can't get him to stop eating too much with any option, then IMO it may be better to put him into his own tank. Some bettas are fine with the community life and others just aren't cut out for it.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
LOL, I've been in that battle before! My boy Cinnabar lived in my 20 gal with my 5 cory cats and no matter what trick I tried the brat would invariably find the cory cats food and go down to the bottom of the tank to gorge himself. He eventually passed away from an unknown cause and RuPaul, who currently is in the tank, does not gorge himself quite as much as Cinnabar does, maybe because I now have 3 more cory's and 7 Rasbora in the tank.

Some things I tried were feeding the betta on one side of the tank and the other fish on the opposite side, and feeding at night, and sinking food for the Cory's. Cinnabar learned to find the food, even at night, and he learned to muscle the cory's away from the sinking food.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,
I can try to feed him in other side of the tank, but he eats from the bottom as well. He goes during the day and finds food that's leftover. He looks staffed almost all the time.

Hi

Bettas and Gouramis? I cant see this working out long term.

Are these a bonded pair? or 2 females?
My Rams are 2 ladies.
And about honey Gouramies they seem to be good. Comet my betta doesn't seem to be fast enough to rich them. He did claim part of the tank as his and he just scare Gouramis when they are close. I have 6 Honey Gouramis looks like only one of them is female.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My Rams are 2 ladies.
I cant see a problem there,

He did claim part of the tank as his and he just scare Gouramis when they are close.
This could be a problem male Gourami are just as territorial as Bettas and it may or may not result in a fight, where one of the Gouramis challenges the Betta for the territory. Bettas should never kept with other anabantoids.

Constantly having to defend his territory may also stress the Betta too much.

I have 6 Honey Gouramis looks like only one of them is female.
I had Honey Gouramis and found 3 or 4 males and 2 females worked out quite well but your tank needs to be heavily planted and have floating plants so each male can have a bit of territory, Its quite fascinating watching the males build bubble nests and display to each other while trying to catch the girls eye.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This could be a problem male Gourami are just as territorial as Bettas and it may or may not result in a fight, where one of the Gouramis challenges the Betta for the territory. Bettas should never kept with other anabantoids.

Constantly having to defend his territory may also stress the Betta too much.

I had Honey Gouramis and found 3 or 4 males and 2 females worked out quite well but your tank needs to be heavily planted and have floating plants so each male can have a bit of territory, Its quite fascinating watching the males build bubble nests and display to each other while trying to catch the girls eye.
Thank you for important comment. When I was designing tank I was planing it more for Cichlids rather then bettas and Goramies. I have in it driftwood and caves. Tank is planted, but most of the plants are young. Only the grassy plant in the middle grew up nicely to the top. Also my banan plants started to sprout so there are floating leaves coming out. Rams and Gouramies loves the caves.

I got the Betta little impulsively, trying to give him good home just before quarantine. I have 3 other bettas in their own separate tanks. Now I am considering to set up another tank to rehome him. My Betta Commet is a glow betta, that was fairly active when I purchased him, rest of them looked miserable. I wanted to give him a chance. And honestly he seems to have time of his life. But I will be carefully observing situation in my tank. I have to make up my mind what do with this little guy. The part of the tank that he loves is where I put leaf hammocks. He seems to spend there most of his time.

Also from what you wrote I will need at least one more female Honey Gouramie. Or maybe 2.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi

Yeah that tank will work for the Guramis and rams

You now have an excuse to set up a new Betta tank you also have an excuse to get a new fish

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to posted update on my community tank. I haven't decided yet to move Comet-my glow betta to separate tank. Only way to stop him from Overeating is to catch him to cup every morning when I feed my fish and release him after 30 minuts.
He loves his 29 gallon kingdom. Planted with caves and driftwood. He doesn't make troubles with other fish, even Gouramis. I have lots of time to observe them, since I am home for more then a month now, while NY is on lockdown. And things are good so far.
Fish is growing nicely. His colors are changing little bit. He has lots of red in his fins and body, what I like. Below some photos.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Only way to stop him from Overeating is to catch him to cup every morning when I feed my fish and release him after 30 minuts.
That is super stressful for the fish and will end in the fish getting injured ( when you drop the cup by accident or something like that )

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you still feed him Betta food? You can safely feed him Tropical fish foods. Feed the tank two or three or even smaller meals rather than one or two large ones.
I was feeding him in a cup, after catching him. When I let him go back to the tank he is searching for the food on the bottom. That's why I wait 30-40 minuts for fish to eat.
That is super stressful for the fish and will end in the fish getting injured ( when you drop the cup by accident or something like that )
It's not ideal solution and I will try to feed smaller portions like Russel recommend. I am planing on setting up 15 gallon fluval planted tank in near future. Possibly for him and some plants. Instead of keeping him in community setting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts