Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta in the dark?

459 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Bikeridinguckgirl14 
#1 ·
Mesmer doesn't like being in the dark for too long but I'm going to need to black him out for a few days while I use copper meds on what I'm 90% sure is velvet! I'm not treating him till Monday but I put him in the dark for just one day and he just looked so sad, he was pouty and just not a happy boy. Is there any way to keep him in the dark without him getting sad?

#2 ·
hmmm this surprises me since bettas are usually comforted by the darkness (it de-stresses them).

Maybe try to get him used to it? Increase the amount of time he is in the dark a little be each day until you start the meds?

#4 ·
I guess. I dont know what else to do, another user said somewhere she left a window for her fish, maybe I can figure out how to do that (I did have him in 100% darkness)

#6 ·
He was downright droopy. "Hunched over" and didn't wanna use his ears when swimming for about ten minutes, then I fed him and didn't put him back under

#8 ·
I have 3/4 of his tank in darkness and he seems happy, also think I may have contaminated archy so he is in 3/4 darkness. Mesmer is swimming I the lit area begging for food while archy went to bed. (Guess he thinks it's night time)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.