Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my boy, Blushi, a double half-moon male, about 4 months ago while I was away at school, and since I've brought him home, his belly is most times very bloated. I don't feed him very often, maybe 1-2 pellets every day or every other day depending on how he looks. I use omega one betta buffet pellets and very occasionally a freeze dried zooplankton. The only thing I have physically changed in the tank is adding some new plants and more substrate (its a heated/filtered/cycled 10g). I haven't fed him a pea since I've gotten back, maybe that's it? he is also fin nipping a lot (is he really eating his own fins?) and I see him nibbling on brown algae that grows all over in some areas of the tank. is that causing his constipation or bloating? am I do something completely wrong? anything helps I'm pretty new to owning fish.
One more thing I also added 1tbsp of epsom salt to the tank to see if it would help, as it has in the past but no luck so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
What temperature are you keeping him at? I would bump it up a few degrees to about 81-82°. Maybe a switch in food would do him some good. I use the Omega One pellets and never have an issue with bloating. I would try Omega One Color Micro pellets. They are a little smaller and perhaps he would have an easier time digesting them.

I would avoid peas & freeze dried foods. Mysis shrimp would be a nice treat and since they are a crustacean they will provide a bit of roughage similar to an insects exoskeleton. They are easier to feed than frozen daphnia and safer for your betta than peas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts