Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, this is going to be kind of long.Alright, so my oldest betta, Ruffles, had been housed in a divided 5gal before with another male betta, and there were never any issues. However, a few months ago that other betta passed away and I just recently added a new one to the same divided 5gal. The new one, Wrex, managed to slip around the divider (I think I may have bumped it or the filter, which therefore bumped it) and was suddenly on Ruffles' side. I literally was looking at them, walked across the room and back, and suddenly he was on the wrong side. I didn't see them fight, and when I noticed they were on totally opposite corners of the section. I immediately removed both of them from the tank and noticed that Ruffles was not looking good AT ALL.

He's normally a pretty even red color (paler on the bottom, though, I've always assumed due to age, I've owned him for almost 2.5yrs) and his lower half was suddenly really pale and his lower fin was almost gray. [Unfortunately I was unable to get a good picture of it.] I also noticed he looked like he was pineconing [picture] so I kept him in a quarantine tank and added some epsom salt to his water.. Today the pineconing or paleness haven't really gotten any better and now it looks like he has a loose scale/some sort of tiny, pale bulge on his left side. He's also lost all interest in food.

I'll try and get some better pictures of what he looks like right now but is there anything I can do to help him? The other betta looks fine minus a small missing scale/rub on his head from when he slid through the dividers, I think.

Housing
What size is your tank? Divided 5gal.
What temperature is your tank? ~76F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Male betta on other side of divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?~25% or so, depending on what their water looks like

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is the best picture of him I can get with my phone right now; his fins are a really pale gray with barely a hint of red. Before Wrex got through the divider he was pretty evenly colored everywhere, though it wasn't exactly the brightest, deepest red.

Edit: Also, I thought he had dropsy or some sort of internal parasite a few months ago, but he seemed to have recovered fully from whatever it was.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm dealing with pineconing now too. I'm trying to treat with tetracycline and betta revive, but am not having luck. I've seen other people recommend using both maracyns. I'm not sure why he would have gotten dropsy from fighting with another fish though? Maybe it's just a coincidence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm dealing with pineconing now too. I'm trying to treat with tetracycline and betta revive, but am not having luck. I've seen other people recommend using both maracyns. I'm not sure why he would have gotten dropsy from fighting with another fish though? Maybe it's just a coincidence.
You know what, I forgot I had tried treating another betta with the two Maracyns, but lost him to dropsy. I think it's just a guessing game with this one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I'm not sure if maybe the stress of having the other betta get through lowered his immune system all of a sudden? Or if maybe the pineconing is the result of some injury, although I've only ever heard of it with dropsy

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't know too much about diseases, but I would try to get another tank if you can. If they can see each other all the time, they will be stressed out. And feel like they must always be flared, which can rip fins. And if one of the fish is sick, it can easily be passed to the other. Your fish you had before very well may have been less threatening than the new one. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know too much about diseases, but I would try to get another tank if you can. If they can see each other all the time, they will be stressed out. And feel like they must always be flared, which can rip fins. And if one of the fish is sick, it can easily be passed to the other. Your fish you had before very well may have been less threatening than the new one. Hope this helps!!
I have a sort of double divider up so they actually cannot see each other anymore. At first they were flaring at each other a LOT so I adjusted it since I have no room for another full tank in my dorm room. I appreciate the advice though!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Stress responses in bettas are color dulling, clamping and stress stripes followed by lethargy and disinterest in things.

He may have been rammed by the new male or was simply so shocked to see a fish in his area after all that time he just shut down.

Give him plenty of hiding places and some time to come around- lost scales will grow back on their own. A really strong dose of IAL will turn the water dark which will help calm him down as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately Ruffles passed just recently this afternoon, about a day and a half after the incident. He had all his color back (more than I've seen on him in a long time) and didn't seem to be pineconing. However, he was incredibly lethargic and generally not acting well, almost as if he was seizing. The small weird spots on him yesterday turned into this, so I guess Wrex probably did actually fight him a bit.
I'll miss that grumpy old guy, had him for 2 and a half years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts