Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my Betta for about 3 weeks now, and he has been very active until today. He is in a 10 gallon tank with a heater keeping the water at 78 degrees, and there is a filter in the tank. I tested the nitrate, alkalinity, hardness and pH levels and all seem to be fine. He isn't being completely inactive; he is swimming a little but and will still rush to the top when the lid is opened for food. I feed him tropical flakes and Betta pellets twice a day. I am just worried because he keeps creeping inside of his caves or under his plants in the back of the tank and laying on the gravel (not on his side or anything, just looks like he is resting) completely still. Is he sleeping? Is he sick? :-:)-?:dunno::question:
Just a note, the last water change for him was five days ago and he has been fine since. The day after his water change (which would have been four days ago) my heater broke and the water temperature dropped to 70 degrees overnight before I could get him another heater the next day. He seemed fine the entire time, but was obviously grateful when I put in the new heater (he hung around beside it until the tank warmed up a few degrees.) That is the only thing that has gone wrong, but it was four days ago, and he has been fine since.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can't really tell from the photos... He seems to be leaning on the side of his hiding spot. If you can get a picture of him swimming out in the open (maybe when you open up to feed him) that would help. It's possible that he's bloated? His fins look healthy, so I don't think it's an infection...

Do you give him a fasting day (don't feed him for one day)?

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it is the same situation as mine it will not have a good outcome. MY betta used to swim around all the time and spread his fins. Then I got a catfish and shrimp and he ate a algea wafer. Now even though your fish didn't eat a algae wafer he is acting just like mine did. Mine after he ate the wafer he started to hide in his pirate ship where it was dark and you couldn't see him. He started to lose color which yours hasn't I don't think. But then his fins almost wilted and were lifeless he could hardly swim to breath. He died yesterday after showing these signs for about 11 days. So I don't know what caused it or what it is but the not swimming a whole lot is what mine did except I had to tap the lid for him to come eat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More Pictures of Poor Charles

I'm sorry, I don't have a very good camera. Here are a few more links to photos.

http://tinypic.com/r/r1ewie/8

http://tinypic.com/r/n5su1x/8

I have never heard of a fasting day, and so it is entirely possible that he could be bloated. I haven't fed him today and he seems to be moving around [a bit] more. His fins still look great and he hasn't lost any color. He still follows my finger around the outside of the tank, too. Oh, and he is alone in his 10 gallon. Thank you all again for your time!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, his belly looks a little big, unless you took those pictures after he ate.

I would try not feeding him for a day or two, allow him to get anything out of his system... I don't know other ways to treat bloat, but I have seen a few other people talk about treating them with epson/aquarium salt since it's a laxative.

See how he does for a couple of days without eating, he won't starve. If he's already acting a little better from not feeding him for a day, he might clear up without any extra assistance. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
You and I feed similar food and, unfortunately, the stuff that we feed isn't necessarily healthy for them. If you read the ingredients, you'll see that it has a lot of filler (wheat products, etc). With that kind of diet, choose a day that you won't feed them anything so that their systems can process what you're giving them. And on days that you're busy, don't feel bad if for some reason it slips your mind to feed them. It won't hurt him any.

Let us know how he's doing. <3

·
Registered
198 Posts
From the picture he doesn't look like his color has faded it looks very blue. Which is good and something my fish didn't have after he started acting funny so I think if he goes a day or two without eating he will be better. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Epsom salt is for bloating, not aquarium salt! They do pretty much the exact opposite things. I'd let him chill for a few days, then start on epsom. I am not sure at all on the dosing though, sorry...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.