Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just got my betta about a week ago. When I got him I just got the necessities, I didn't buy any decorations at the time because they were more expensive where I got him at. Well, I finally got some rocks, a house and this little fake plant thing and put in his bowl. The stuff has been in there for 2 days now and he hasn't went inside the house, Im pretty sure he can fit though. He also isn't swimming around no where near as much as when his bowl was empty. Before I put everything in he was constantly swimming around, he seemed super happy and always got excited when I walked up to him. But now he just sits there most of the time. I woke up this morning and he didn't move at all and I even moved the bowl and he did nothing, I thought he was dead but then he moved. I just took the little plant thing out and hes swimming around the bowl now, he wasn't going all the way around before, just back and fourth. He has room in the bowl, the house isn't too big, I just don't know. Is something wrong? Or is it just because it's something new and he's not used to it? Please help, I love my fishy and want him to be happy :) lol

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Post pictures so we can maybe get a better idea? How big is his 'bowl' and what kind of plant did you put in? Plastic or silk? Is the little house painted with fish-safe paint/plastic?

It could be any number of things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long have you had him?
How many gallons is your bowl?
Does he have a heater? What temp is the water?
I've had him for a week. The bowl said it was 1 gallon but after I bought it I was at walmart and just looked at the fish stuff and their bowls that said gallon were like half the size of mine so idk if that's right or not. And no heater

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post pictures so we can maybe get a better idea? How big is his 'bowl' and what kind of plant did you put in? Plastic or silk? Is the little house painted with fish-safe paint/plastic?

It could be any number of things.
It's plastic I guess but it's softer, like it's not hard plastic. The house is for fish so I would assume fish safe. I've only been on this forum once before, I can't figure out how to post a pic :/

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
If he has a gallon bowl then you need to do daily 100% water changes to keep the ammonia levels down. That is why it is not recommend that you keep bettas in tanks that are smaller thank 2.5 gallons.

Also you NEED a heater. Bettas need water that is at least 78-80 degrees since they are tropical fish.

you did not buy the necessities for a betta like you thought.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I think the decorations are just an coincidence. Like I said. 1 gallon tanks are a lot of work. Ammonia will make the fish more lethargic and will eventually kill the fish from ammonia poisoning.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Unfortunately alot of people on this forum have found out the hard way that even if it's marked "fish safe" it very well might not be "safe" at all. It seems pretty common for companies like Top Fin to make unsafe products that leech chemicals.
You definitely need a heater & very frequent water changes if you want your betta to be active again. They are tropical fish from Thailand & require temps between 78-82 to be healthy. At lower temperatures or during constant temp changes their immune systems are weakened & they are more likely to get sick. If you haven't changed his water in a week he is probably lethargic from the ammonia build up that fish excrete as their "waste".
Read up on this forum about proper betta care & it will help you understand what your betta needs to become a happy fish.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Good evening court811 and welcome to our community. I have my betta fish Patriot in a 2.5 gallon tank which I bought from Petsmart. The extra swimming room will keep your fish more active and less stressed. Don't forget to ask questions. I know I did when I first joined this site last year.
Happy swimming with us. :)

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquari...-catid-300013?var_id=36-20709&_t=pfm=category (I took the divider out since I just have Patriot).

Here is a picture of what the tank looks like

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.