Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a quarter of a century I am considering breeding bettas again. Would their be any reason I could not use this as housing when I have to start separating out the males. It holds a gallon. I can pretty much get as many of these as I want for free.
Floor Metal

Plastic Glass Box Rectangle

·
Registered
873 Posts
I would say so. It helps that they are longer than they are tall. You really hit the motherload!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grocery stores get salads and such in these containers and the store around here gives all there bad produce to a composting company and throws the containers away. They said they would save them for me and I could have them. I got about 15 of the first day. They'll have that many at least every week they said.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wow, if I lived near you, I would steal some ;-). I guess I just need to eat more salad!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I've also used jugs of spring water for the same reason. :) We drink the water, and I just saved the jugs. I use them for qt's. :) But, so glad that you've found such a good source for containers!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, in theory it would work. There are a couple of considerations though...

How will you heat it?
Food safe is not always fish safe... I recently had three of my females die from being in deli containers.
Heating, I'm thinking of building a drip system. I know there are people who will argue against them, but yet there are people who use them also. I'm setting up in a closet w/ a door I could also heat the room.

Just so I have an idea, how did they die. Symptoms? Maybe I'll throw a couple of my zebra danios in their from one of my tanks as a test.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I shudder at the thought of drip systems... I've watched to many fish die from them to ever even consider it. That's my take on it... If you are going to use it, be careful.

The fish that died had no symptoms- internal (I performed a necropsy), external, or behavioral. Over a period of a couple of weeks they just began to drop dead... I can only assume that it was compounds from the plastic breaking down.

Putting zebra danios in a one gallon container is not a good idea...

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you put the lid on, should you make sure you poke holes in them to make sure oxygen gets in for the fish? Or am I being dumb?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I shudder at the thought of drip systems... I've watched to many fish die from them to ever even consider it. That's my take on it... If you are going to use it, be careful.

The fish that died had no symptoms- internal (I performed a necropsy), external, or behavioral. Over a period of a couple of weeks they just began to drop dead... I can only assume that it was compounds from the plastic breaking down.

"Plastic breaking down" - but what about people who use filter baffles?

·
Registered
247 Posts

What is a drip system, if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is a drip system, if you don't mind me asking.
http://youtu.be/6q3khz1Ee1Q

I hope that link works. If not just youtube betta drip system, and there's plenty of videos out there. The concern on using drip systems I believe is that the drip lines can hold and grow bad fungus and bacteria, and if one fish gets sick in the system, they all have the chance of getting it. Kind of like a community tank with a wet dry filter or canister filter.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
When I use the spring water containers for QT I floated them in a larger tank with a heater...would that possibly work for this project as well?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
*huff*

"Plastic" is a very broad term. Generally, plastics can be classified into seven different types... 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7... It's usually on most plastic containers.
View attachment 215794
They all break down differently.
These containers are marked with a 1, from doing some research, 1 is said not to leach, and it's what is also used in bottled water. Next step is to put a fish in it and try it I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts