Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, so I just bought two bettas a week ago and have them in separate tanks. The first week their water was at a less than preferred temperature, probably 70 degrees, though they were still acting cheerful.
I just got each of them a mini heater yesterday and they've been working great, each tank has reached 79 degrees. My red veiltail still seems quite happy with the new water temperature, but my crowntail has been acting strange all day. He's started just sitting at the bottom on the stones or hiding behind a plant, which is not usual for him, as he is normally swimming around the top. Also, his fins are really drooping together, instead of being fluttery like his usual crowntail self. Is he unhappy that his water is warmer? I don't understand why this would upset him.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
My female acts like that if her temperature is above 76. She prefers cooler water than my male, he prefers 78 or above.

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think I'm having the same problem! The only thing I've really changed in my betta's tank is to put the heater up to 80, and it seems like he's not as active as usual. Yet everyone says that's the perfect temp for bettas. I guess it depends on the individual.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sometimes I wonder about the recommended temperatures for bettas.

I always keep mine at 74-76 and he is very active and healthy. 80 seems a bit excessive to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well as an update to everyone, tank readings were both at about 80 degrees while my house was at 70. We turned our heat down to 67 and now both tanks are at about 74. Both fish seem quite relieved that their water has cooled down. In the two days that their water temperature was in the 80s, both fish developed fin rot with accelerated quickly due to the warm water. Now that the temperature has cooled the fin rot has come to a halt, as it is too cool for the bacteria to progress. Tomorrow I will have time to treat the fin rot and be rid of it once and for all.

I am now a firm believer that water in the 80s is excessively warm for these fish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow! This is good information about temperature. I set up a Betta tank yesterday. Waiting for it to cycle. Right now my betta is in a Betta bowl waiting for his new home. The water temp. in his bowl is around 74 and pretty active. He is so personable! Can't wait until he can get into his new home!

CougarKat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts