Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my beta hasn’t been able to swim when he tries he just sinks he’s been like this for 5 days now i’ve gave him salt baths to try and help and he’s still lying on the bottom of the tank i’m not sure if he will be able recover and it’s almost as if it’s a waiting game at this point should i just let him out of his misery?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallon
How long has the tank been running? year and a bit
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) bett, 2 neon, 2 ember tetras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once every 2 weeks
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? api water conditinoer
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vaccum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? api test strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? everyday
How much do you feed your fish? scoop of tetra pellets and 3 betta pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? aqueon betta pellets and tropical granulat
Do you feed frozen? sometimes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? year and 8 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 5 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? he cant swim he just sinks, loss of colour.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? epsom salt baths
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? his colour faded and he is lethargic

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
at the beginning everytime i would feed he would come to the top. i didnt think anything of it at first but the second day when i went to feed again he still wasnt coming up. when i looked he was just lying on the gravel i thought he was dead so i poked him a little and he moved a little bit. the next day he still wasnt swimming and was in the same spot. i moved him to a 3.5 gallon and filled it up about a quarter of the way. he was in there for about 24 hours still not moving and seemed almost more stressed. i tried to give him a pea but he wouldnt eat it. i gave him a salt bath and moved him back into his 5 gal. the next day i gave him a pellet and he ate it. now today he got another salt bath but is still hiding under his rock not being able to move much.

Attachments
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 6

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey there,
Sorry to hear about your betta. Is your betta pineconing? If so it could be dropsy. I would isolate him in a hospital tank again and do frequent water changes. I would stop feeding him and see if it helps. It may also be a swim bladder disorder. I hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there,
Sorry to hear about your betta. Is your betta pineconing? If so it could be dropsy. I would isolate him in a hospital tank again and do frequent water changes. I would stop feeding him and see if it helps. It may also be a swim bladder disorder. I hope this helps, good luck.
his scales are a little raised, ill move him into a hospital tank again thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts