Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my betta for almost two weeks. Originally I had him in a small bowl but then I switched the bowl to a tank. The problem that occurred in both housings was that he always saw his reflection and would literally swim up and down, side to side, and aggressively chase his reflection. It's been going on for several days. He's okay at night when it's dark (obviously) but I feel like he's going to exhaust himself to death. Should I return him or just wait it out?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just wait it out. You could add some plants on his preferred wall to block his view. Every fish is different. I have had some that did that for weeks, and some that didn't do it at all. One that still does it for a few minutes every morning to strut his stuff then quits for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
843 Posts
In addition to blocking his view, you can add a solid background (paper, cardboard, or an aquarium-specific background will do) to stop him from seeing his reflection. Are you keeping a light on normally? Sometimes extra light will cause reflections, which may explain why he is calmer at night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a Betta Fondly named Mr Bubbles after my childhood Bubble Bath (they do make lots of bubbles) who would chase his reflection swim laps between the leaves of a plastic seaweed and sleep in a cave under a castle I set him up in a 2.5 gal tank and he lived 2.5 years an open sore strangely appeared and he died a day later. But chasing reflections I think makes them more interesting he would even try to fight with my finger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts