Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B8603212-08A2-419A-8CA5-20042F7B4AEE.jpeg D29684A7-48EB-42D3-A203-AF3DDB31C83C.png E8900C8F-BB99-4137-B6FD-FF1AA699F4AD.png Hello! I鈥檓 new here馃 just hoping to get some answers my newly betta (1 month) has been sluggish the last day or two he鈥檚 still fairly active and can reach surface but seems to be laying down all the time any answers as to what could be wrong and how to help him馃ズ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Registered
Could you fill out this form so we can get a good idea of your setup?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 2 zebra snails

Food:
What food brand do you use?Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1-2 times daily 2-3 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? New tank have performed 1 water change
What percentage of water did you change? 20%
What is the source of your water? Fresh
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Tetra

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 days ago
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed? No
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating? Laying down a lot , started fasting him
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I just tested the water but I don鈥檛 have the readings for the test strip I threw it away before writing this post and don鈥檛 have anymore

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 2 zebra snails

Food:
What food brand do you use?Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1-2 times daily 2-3 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? New tank have performed 1 water change
What percentage of water did you change? 20%
What is the source of your water? Fresh
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Tetra

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 days ago
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed? No
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating? Laying down a lot , started fasting him
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No
73DD7728-DD99-43C1-93DC-B42A76513080.jpeg 56FBA484-B257-4AD5-97A4-16D07B71311E.jpeg

Registered
For feeding I would recommend feeding him until his stomach is round, their stomachs are meant to expand when they eat and if they don鈥檛, you are likely under feeding. He doesn鈥檛 necessarily look underweight but just something I wanted to mention.

which aqueon food are you feeding? If it鈥檚 aqueon color or aqueon betta then it鈥檚 a good quality food but if it鈥檚 the aqueon pro I would recommend switching foods as that one is full of fillers and is not very healthy. I wouldn鈥檛 fast him unless he鈥檚 bloated so I would start feeding him again.

when was the last time you did a water change?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For feeding I would recommend feeding him until his stomach is round, their stomachs are meant to expand when they eat and if they don鈥檛, you are likely under feeding. He doesn鈥檛 necessarily look underweight but just something I wanted to mention.

which aqueon food are you feeding? If it鈥檚 aqueon color or aqueon betta then it鈥檚 a good quality food but if it鈥檚 the aqueon pro I would recommend switching foods as that one is full of fillers and is not very healthy. I wouldn鈥檛 fast him unless he鈥檚 bloated so I would start feeding him again.

Aqueon Color , ok I will feed him now thank you! The last time I did a water change was about a week ago and I bought a new filter cartridge today

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

44C6FC50-40E0-4A99-94ED-7807FB11816D.jpeg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I just fed him one pebble now he seems to be breathing heavy it looks like weird lil white things are sticking out of his gils

Registered
do you have a way to test your water again? It could possibly be related to water quality.

He鈥檚 eating which is a good sign so go ahead and feed him 2-3 more pellets and then another meal later today.

Also, you don鈥檛 need to buy replacement filter cartridges, when you do it basically restarts your cycle. Most of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter cartridge so throwing it away gets rid of it. When did you add the new cartridge? Is your aquarium cycled? If so, how did you cycle it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do you have a way to test your water again? It could possibly be related to water quality.

He鈥檚 eating which is a good sign so go ahead and feed him 2-3 more pellets and then another meal later today.

Also, you don鈥檛 need to buy replacement filter cartridges, when you do it basically restarts your cycle. Most of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter cartridge so throwing it away gets rid of it. When did you add the new cartridge? Is your aquarium cycled? If so, how did you cycle it?
He ate another 2 pebbles I will feed him a couple more later I鈥檓 gonna test water again now . I had no idea so I put the new cartridge in today I thought it might help

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

87A42841-8E67-4B67-8761-6A6AC11BA86A.jpeg
does this help?

Registered
Yes, thank you!
you don鈥檛 have an ammonia test by chance to you? Nitrite looks good, there normally should be some nitrates but since your tank looks to be planted the plants will also use the nitrates.
If you have the old filter cartridge I would put it back, if not, just keep an eye on your test readings. Anytime the nitrite is at .5ppm do a 50% water change.
I鈥檓 not sure what is wrong with him, but I think something is up. I鈥檓 going to tag some people that are more knowledgeable than I am:
@RussellTheShihTzu @KekeTheBettaDoc

in the meantime, is he swimming or just laying down? If he鈥檚 laying down most of the time I would move him to a small container that you can float in his current tank, that way he won鈥檛 have to work as hard to get to the surface to get air. Any leaves or plants he can rest on is good as well. You will have to do a daily water change since it鈥檚 a smaller container.
If he鈥檚 swimming I would leave him in the aquarium but do a 50% water change in case there is any ammonia present.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, thank you!
you don鈥檛 have an ammonia test by chance to you? Nitrite looks good, there normally should be some nitrates but since your tank looks to be planted the plants will also use the nitrates.
If you have the old filter cartridge I would put it back, if not, just keep an eye on your test readings. Anytime the nitrite is at .5ppm do a 50% water change.
I鈥檓 not sure what is wrong with him, but I think something is up. I鈥檓 going to tag some people that are more knowledgeable than I am:

in the meantime, is he swimming or just laying down? If he鈥檚 laying down most of the time I would move him to a small container that you can float in his current tank, that way he won鈥檛 have to work as hard to get to the surface to get air. Any leaves or plants he can rest on is good as well. You will have to do a daily water change since it鈥檚 a smaller container.
If he鈥檚 swimming I would leave him in the aquarium but do a 50% water change in case there is any ammonia present.
I do not have a ammonia test I threw the filter away would it still be good to use out the trash I wrapped it in a paper towel? Thank you for your help! He swims around a lil bit and comes up to the front when I approach the tank but mostly just laying he swims up to the top and lays on the magnet for cleaning near the surface

Registered
Water quality is everything to betta health. Since your tank is new I doubt that you have established a colony of good bacteria yet.
Until that happens and the tank is cycling, you will need to check nitrites and nitrates EVERY DAY. Perform 50% water changes as required. After about 30 days, the bacteria colony should be established. When you can get close to <zero> nitrites for a week straight, your in the clear. However, I recommend performing 20% water changes weekly after that and vacuum 30-50% of the bottom when you change water.
You will also need to aerate the water with an air stone and pump.
Don't wait to take these actions. Every day matters. Head up to your local aquarium store and get the stuff you don't have ASAP.
Fishkeeping isn't a lot of work, but does require daily attention to stay ahead of any issues. Bettas make great pets due to their intelligence and interactivity.
I just wish I could take mine on a walk :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, thank you!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts