Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Water quality is everything to betta health. Since your tank is new I doubt that you have established a colony of good bacteria yet.
Until that happens and the tank is cycling, you will need to check nitrites and nitrates EVERY DAY. Perform 50% water changes as required. After about 30 days, the bacteria colony should be established. When you can get close to <zero> nitrites for a week straight, your in the clear. However, I recommend performing 20% water changes weekly after that and vacuum 30-50% of the bottom when you change water.
You will also need to aerate the water with an air stone and pump.
Don't wait to take these actions. Every day matters. Head up to your local aquarium store and get the stuff you don't have ASAP.
Fishkeeping isn't a lot of work, but does require daily attention to stay ahead of any issues. Bettas make great pets due to their intelligence and interactivity.
I just wish I could take mine on a walk :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Does that kit have a fresh water chart because it's labeled as being for saltwater?
I use the ELOS brand NH4 kit which can be used for both.
I didn’t even realize I used the wrong chart looks like it’s 0.25 ammonia what do I do with

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Get a SeaChem Ammonia Alert. If it doesn't register the "Ammonia" you are reading is harmless Ammonium.

"Total Ammonia" is NH3 (toxic "Free Ammonia") and NH4 (non-toxic Ammonium) together. The API test registers TA and doesn't differentiate. The Ammonia Alert only reads NH3. If it doesn't register you are seeing the harmless NH4.

Added: Always read the results against a white background.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Get a SeaChem Ammonia Alert. If it doesn't register the "Ammonia" you are reading is harmless Ammonium.

"Total Ammonia" is NH3 (toxic "Free Ammonia") and NH4 (non-toxic Ammonium) together. The API test registers TA and doesn't differentiate. The Ammonia Alert only reads NH3. If it doesn't register you are seeing the harmless NH4.

Added: Always read the results against a white background.
I will pick that up tomorrow, thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Back to the original question: why is your Betta laying around.
Because that is what they do. Imagine trying to swim in a wedding gown. You wouldn't swim fast and it would take a lot of energy. Bettas are not very hydrodynamic; they aren't slippery like a shark. They are draggy with those big fins. So they rest.
A resting Betta, if it's laying on the bottom or a leaf, is upright. I heard other people say their Bettas will hover head-down or tail down, nearly vertical, when they rest.
If a Betta is laying on it's side in a cupped position, then get very worried.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
How is he doing? Has he show any more of the white things from his gills? Can you get a photo?

From your description, he is lethargic, correct? No longer his normal, active self. If this is the case and he has a strong peduncle it is doubtful he is on the bottom because of finnage. If he were a Rose or Feather Tail that might be a possibility but not with your boy.

Follow the forum's tutorial on fish-in cycling CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial and keep water the color below using either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea.
TankWithIAL.jpg

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
How is he doing? Has he show any more of the white things from his gills? Can you get a photo?

From your description, he is lethargic, correct? No longer his normal, active self. If this is the case and he has a strong peduncle it is doubtful he is on the bottom because of finnage. If he were a Rose or Feather Tail that might be a possibility but not with your boy.

Follow the forum's tutorial on fish-in cycling CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial and keep water the color below using either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea.
View attachment 1030013

Please keep us updated.
[/QUOTE
Doesn’t seem like he’s gotten any better maybe a lil he can still swim up to the top for food and likes resting on the magnet near the surface

View attachment 1030013

Please keep us updated.
Doesn’t seem like he’s gotten any better maybe a lil he can still swim up to the top for food and likes resting on the magnet near the surface but doesn’t have as much energy swimming around anymore and falls to bottom a lot to lay I picked up a new heater so the tank has been reading 78.3 more constant with my old heater I had constant temp drops I also picked up a air stone because someone suggested it could help with his breathing also got the sea Chem ammonia alert and its reading safe . I will pick up the almond leaves tomorrow and keep you posted thank you for your help!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts