Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, this is for my cousin's pet Betta that she brought home from college about two weeks ago. Her Betta, Bibble, has been lethargic and while he still has an appetite, he's been hanging out in his hideout at the top of the cage or at the very bottom. He is not breathing heavily.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3.5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 77/79 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? It has plants
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No tank mates

Food:
What food brand do you use? Bug Bites Betta Formula
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Every morning sprinkle

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a month, 50% change twice a month
What percentage of water did you change? 100% once a month, 50% twice a month
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Just dip out water, but every month everything is taken out and rinsed off
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? AquaSafe, Correct PH tablets, and BettaFix

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Two weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Not flaring
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Using BettaFix
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Since December
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No
Bibble Hiding:
Automotive tire Art Cloud Water well Circle

Bibble Healthy:
Purple Organism Petal Violet Pink

Water Test Strip:
Font Wood Bookmark Slope Natural material

Edit: Bibble in the Open (we are changing and conditioning the tank so he's in a holding cup until we're done)
Liquid Fluid Insect Drinking water Tableware

Any help would be appreciated, my cousin is very worried about him.

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
Did you test for Ammonia?

Making sure I'm reading correctly: Two weeks per month a 50% water change; one week a 100%; one week no water change. So, three water changes per month.

100% water changes are extremely stressful for Betta and if the tank has a filter are unnecessary. Anytime a Betta is removed from its tank is stressful. A weekly 25% water change and vacuum is better; leaving the Betta in the tank.

His symptoms could be any number of things. Until we can figure it out I would suggest adding either Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea for their antibacterial and antifungal properties. Tank should be at the least the color below. If floating a leaf or teabag doesn't achieve this tint you can brew a strong tea, condition and add to tank. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.
Flower Plant Nature Leaf Sunlight

As noted in the form, we need a photo from above. This is so we can determine if a Betta is receiving enough nutrition.

A side note: One of the reasons I personally do not like flakes is you can't tell how much a fish is eating. With pellets you get an exact measurement. If your cousin will switch to Fluval pellets it would help her determine if Bibble is getting enough to eat or if she needs to make adjustments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts