Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta Wynn has a five gallon tank with plants and decor for him to rest/hide behind BUT his fav place is to rest behind the heater... not the heating element but the top plastic part where you control the temperature. Now he is not there all the time but he likes to spend a good portion of his day there, he is new to me (1.5 weeks that I've had him) but he is not a shy boy. He loves to come to my face when I am near the tank and will follow my finger around the tank. I was worried that he might burn himself or have some other issue, any ideas/input?

(the red area is where he rests)
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium decor Plant Aquatic plant

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking at your setup just now I noticed that the plants, where he could sleep close to the surface, are near the filter. He might like sleeping on the heater because he doesn't get jostled around there like on the plants near the filter. You could try moving the plants to the other sideofthe tank, purchase floating plants or buy a betta hammock so he has other options if you're worried about him getting burned. I have all the above mentioned and still find our betta on the heater though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point, I might need to get more plants then. Those near the filter are intentional, they lessen the strength of the flow and block the direct light... Before I had them he was getting jostled around �� I was thinking of getting one more plant for the end with the heater though, now I have extra motivation! ��

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Esob79 I took your advice and move the leafy heart plant away from the filter and Wynn us loving it! He is swimming through the leaves and making good use of it �� thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just going to chime in and agree that he may like the calmer surface water furthest from the filter. I have a 5 gallon tank and tried putting tall plants in front of the outflow to buffer the flow as well but I finally did the water bottle baffle and he finally blew me his first bubble nest! Cut the ends off a water bottle, slice the cylinder up the middle, then place over filter so it redirects the water back against the tank instead directly out onto the surface. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just going to chime in and agree that he may like the calmer surface water furthest from the filter. I have a 5 gallon tank and tried putting tall plants in front of the outflow to buffer the flow as well but I finally did the water bottle baffle and he finally blew me his first bubble nest! Cut the ends off a water bottle, slice the cylinder up the middle, then place over filter so it redirects the water back against the tank instead directly out onto the surface. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
My little guy likes sleeping near and squeezing behind the heater. He must have fell asleep against the element one night and ended up with what I believe is a burn on his dorsal fin. The heater was placed horizontal at the bottom of the tank. I switched it back to a vertical position and he seem to have lost interest in squeezing behind it. That was back in December, he's all healed up and doing fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here

I was worried also, but I guess the water was cold.
I have chase him away from the heater several times, but to no avail he is right back.
I'll try to keep the water warmer, he has everything in that water plants, toys, rocks everything.

Thank you to everyone
that shared

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.