Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I woke up this morning to find someone had opened my door and my cat got in. I found her sitting on my desk looking and meowing at my Betta, I don't know if she did anything else to upset him, he's very shy. I removed her and went to check on him and he wasn't moving at all, not even his fins. Could this be like a "play dead" thing? I'm really worried about him, I just got him a few days ago and I don't want to change the water yet just in case I stress him even more. Is he alright? Btw, he started moving a bit when I moved the bowl a little bit, and he started looking at me when I sat down. :crying:

Thank you.

Sappire

EDIT: Btw he's not lying on his side

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? About 3 - 4 liters (It's a bowl at the moment)
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? Don't know
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Sanyu Betta
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I fed him too much on the first day because the pellets are very small, so I thought they mean't a pinch. So I have held off from feeding for a bit.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I have just recently got him, I haven't needed to do a water change yet.
What percentage of water did you change? None
What is the source of your water? Tap water (Filtered), with Betta conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Aqua one

Water Parameters: Haven't got a test kit yet
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today when I woke up. (14/06/2018)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Not from what I can see, though I have just noticed on his right side there's some what appears to be white greyish parts.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He seems a bit wobbly, but I don't know if that's just me.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How long have you owned your Betta? Few days.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not that I know of.

·
Super Moderator
22,958 Posts
A one-gallon bowl needs a 50% change every other day. Ammonia and Nitrites will build to a lethal level in a very, very short time...less than a day.

Do a 50% immediately; wait two hours and do another 50%; wait another two hours and do a third. If you do too big of a change all at once you can throw him into parameter shock which can also be lethal. Leave the lights off to give him a more secure environment if he is shocked by the cat's presence.

Photos would help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Betta fish do take 'rests' in between and during those times, they do become less active and lay on the bottom of the tank for about a min or so, if there is any movement or activity in the area, he once again will bounce back curious about what it is. So im guessing the behavior is normal?
Also do u live in a cold area? If so betta fish are known to get lethergic if the water is cold.
Bettas are tropical fish and need to be in a temperature range about 78 degree Fahrenheit to 80 degree Fahrenheit. This forum taught me all this XD.
I also suggest that u move him from the bowl to atleast a 3-5 gallon tank, as water tend to get varying temperature too quickily in a bowl which may stress the betta.
About the greyish area, does it look like spots? If so it might be ick but unlikely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A one-gallon bowl needs a 50% change every other day. Ammonia and Nitrites will build to a lethal level in a very, very short time...less than a day.

Do a 50% immediately; wait two hours and do another 50%; wait another two hours and do a third. If you do too big of a change all at once you can throw him into parameter shock which can also be lethal. Leave the lights off to give him a more secure environment if he is shocked by the cat's presence.

Photos would help.
I will be purchasing a 13 gallon tank soon within the few days, so that should be good for him. He's starting becoming very active now, so I guess it was shock? Or as the guy below me said, cold weather.

Also, should I remove him when I do the water changes?

Photos:

https://imgur.com/a/denrjnV

·
Super Moderator
22,958 Posts
There's no need to remove him when you do water changes as this is extremely successful for fish. Glad he seems to be doing better for you.

As a note: Please embed photos instead of linking. Many of our members cannot easily go from here to the link and back. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no need to remove him when you do water changes as this is extremely successful for fish. Glad he seems to be doing better for you.

As a note: Please embed photos instead of linking. Many of our members cannot easily go from here to the link and back. Thanks!
Will do, I just got a 13 gallon tank for him, so I'll be moving him there soon to give him a better home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts