Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a gorgeous Betta Doubletail Halfmoon male. Put him in a 20 l tank and after a week or so I bought a Ancistrus and two Betta females. Everywhere I read about Bettas the story is that the males are the bad guys (the fighters). I found nothing about females being aggressive so, after making sure they won't fight, I released the females in the tank. My surprise was the next morning when I noticed that the male began building a bubble nest and I started researching extensively on the Internet.
He was chasing the females but he wasn't aggressive. He seamed like courting them. The females had stress stripes the first day, but the second day one of them started to get colored. I've watched them all day but haven't noticed embraces or anything of the kind and the bubble nest wasn't growing.
This morning when I went to check on them... it was horrible!!! The male was on his side, all torn, no fins, no tail, he looked ragged and both females were attacking him. I quickly lit the lights and he ran under the plants, but they were chasing and biting him. I immediately removed them both from the tank.
For several hours I wasn't sure if he was going to live. He stood at the water surface, close to the tank wall for few hours. In the afternoon he started moving around and was even interested in food. So, I guess he's going to make it.
Will his fins and tail heal/regenerate or not? How can I help him through this? Please answer with all the details you can give me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Oh, that sounds bad!
Problem is, yes, the females can be just as aggressive as the boys.
Sadly, they don't necessarily tell you that in the pet store, so I do not blame you!
Sounds pretty much like the story when my brother got fighting fish when we were kids. Back then it was "cool". He got a boy and 2 girls for a 5 gallon tank and it took a couple of days for all the fish to kill each other. Not pretty, and certainly not cool.... :-(
For years I did not want any fighting fish ever again because of this!
As for how to help the poor boy....I hope some more experienced people chime in here. But from what I know if you keep him in warm clean water it would be possible for him to regenerate.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Keeping males and females isn't ok, unless you're breeding of course- and even then you're taking a significant risk. I'm sure you learnt this yourself.

Witht he amount of damage you're describing there's a significant chance the male will die, especially if he suffered any internal injury. The best thing you can do is to keep stress low- keep the light off, keep the water warm and extremely clean.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. What I would do is move him to a hospital tank and have the heat at about 80 degrees and add salt (about 1/2 tablespoon per gallon) he should recover fine. Keep him and the females separate. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Keeping water absolutely pristine is the big thing. A pinch of (pre-dissolved) aquarium salt can be a helpful preventative...but infection still shouldn't occur if the water is completely clean. And if you can lower the water level a bit to make it easier for him to get to the surface, and keep the lights low or cover the tank, that should help with his stress.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That actually might not be too bad..... with clean water and good care I am sure he will survive.
I have seen some worse pictures by people who did rescue some fish from bad owners or pet stores.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will he fully or partially regenerate?

That's good news.:) Do you know if his fins and tail regenerate and if they do, how long does it take?
He is doing better already as he stares and checks the females which I placed in a smaller tank beside his. I also put in more plants and fed him bloodworm. Oh, and I added sea-salt as advised here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes, they will regenerate.... but I am not sure if they will keep the colours?
I am not sure how long it takes, have no personal experience.
Someone who knows a bit more might chime in.... hopefully....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fast recovery

It's amazing. He recovered extremely fast and well. I was so scared for him but that's maybe because I lack experience. You were right. It wasn't too bad. In fact during the last few days he began flaring at the females and the one closest to his tank began to show vertical stripes and was extremely active. As I noticed a white spot that I've learned to be a protruding egg, I decided to place her in his tank. With precaution though. So I cut out the bottom of a 5 l water pet and filled it 2/3 with water from his tank just so the pet would float and placed the female in it. Of course he was trying to reach to her and she was trying to escape the pet, but they soon figured out the situation. It was no longer than 30 minutes (maybe less) that he began making bubbles. This morning the nest was 2 square cm, but in the evening it had approximately 4 or even 5. The female still had vertical stripes, so in the evening I decided to release her. They are playing hide-and-seek as I am writing this.
I'll keep you posted!
I'll run to learn more about infusoria. I can't believe this is happening, but if it's going to happen I have to be prepared to feed the fry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Azuric recovered

Hey guys,
He recovered greatly. He even nested and embraced a female (after taking one of them out of the tank) and now he's taking care of the nested eggs. I can't believe it's happening.
Thank you all for support!

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you haven't already, I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest reading everything you can in the breeding section of the forum. I hear fry can be tricky to raise since you said you aren't experienced. Since it seems the deed is already done, I wish you the best. You're probably going to have a lot of bettas on your hands.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm glad your betta is ok. Just wanted to make sure you knew that Ancistrus can reach 4-6 inches depending on the species and produce a lot of waste. I hope you aren't planning on leaving it in that tank permanently.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hope you realize what you are getting into by breeding. It's not an easy task and really should not be attempted by beginners. You can get hundreds of eggs from one breeding session. I hope you are prepared to care for lots of betta fry and have proper Homes and grow out tanks. You are extremely lucky that your betta was okay.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
His fins will grow back, however they will not come in exactly as before. you may see more clear or transparent areas in the new fins and sometimes you will see a ripple pattern in the fin's rays that grow back.

Don't be discouraged if your first spawn does not survive. It does take alot of trial and error and experience before most are sucessful. Also, you are going to have to be VERY diligent in caring for them. You will have to jar each and every male betta separately when you begin to see aggression among them. and baby bettas are very fragile, they need a lot of humidity so that their labrynth organs form well. They must be fed newly hatched brine shrimp and other tiny tiny fresh foods. They cannot be fed adult betta food, even if crushed)
You are pretty brave to venture into breeding right off. I have kept bettas and other fish for over 40 years. And while I have played with the idea of spawning bettas (i did once when I was a teenager....that waas enough!) I know I will not have the time, space, and finances to care for them the way theyabsolutely must be cared for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fries

I hope you realize what you are getting into by breeding. It's not an easy task and really should not be attempted by beginners. You can get hundreds of eggs from one breeding session. I hope you are prepared to care for lots of betta fry and have proper Homes and grow out tanks. You are extremely lucky that your betta was okay.
I wasn't prepared for that and even when it happened I never thought the fries would make it. They are now almost 3 weeks old. I thought they'd grow faster. I'm feeding them egg yolk and artemias. I haven't seen them eat but since they are alive and growing I guess it is correct to assume that they manage to eat something. I haven't changed the water though. It's clear but there is some dirt on the bottom. It's interesting that the fries are feeding from the bottom. On what? I have no idea. The tank is heavily planted and has sand on the bottom. It's nice when the ancistrus makes his rounds they jump up and so I can actually observe them, otherwise they have the color of the sand and can't be noticed. They have different sizes. Some are "huge" compared to others and I can even see if they are "full" or hungry. The small ones don't have anything in their bellies. I also have no idea on how many are there. I already prepered a bigger tank for them, but I'm waiting for them to grow so that I can take them all out. I'll learn as they grow. On the other hand no pet store wants to buy any, as they have their own suppliers so, I have no idea on what I'm going to do with them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fries

His fins will grow back, however they will not come in exactly as before. you may see more clear or transparent areas in the new fins and sometimes you will see a ripple pattern in the fin's rays that grow back.

Don't be discouraged if your first spawn does not survive. It does take alot of trial and error and experience before most are sucessful. Also, you are going to have to be VERY diligent in caring for them. You will have to jar each and every male betta separately when you begin to see aggression among them. and baby bettas are very fragile, they need a lot of humidity so that their labrynth organs form well. They must be fed newly hatched brine shrimp and other tiny tiny fresh foods. They cannot be fed adult betta food, even if crushed)
You are pretty brave to venture into breeding right off. I have kept bettas and other fish for over 40 years. And while I have played with the idea of spawning bettas (i did once when I was a teenager....that waas enough!) I know I will not have the time, space, and finances to care for them the way theyabsolutely must be cared for.
I'm not brave at all... I was not informed, that's all, and it just happened. Now I'll do my best, while enjoying them grow. They are almost 3 weeks old now and I can't wait to see what colors they'll have. Wish me luck as I know it won't be easier as they grow...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.