Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a decaf green tea bag to my betta Minion's tank for tannins. He's starting to show signs of fin rot so I'm hoping the tea will help a bit! His reactions to the tea bag were really cute so I thought I'd share :p

He likes to be close to the tea bag:

Here's a rather low-quality video of him interacting with the tea bag. He loops around it, sticks his body close to the tea bag, and even tries to chomp at the veins of tea-water seeping out from the bag. I think he rather enjoys it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbl5pvOI8hY

Have you ever tried putting tea in your betta's tank? How did they react?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goldie, that's a good point! I've heard aquarium salt helps a lot, but right now all I have on hand is tea...and lots of water changes, of course! Hopefully the fin rot disappears.

Sparkyjoe, I was looking everywhere for plain rooibos in stores! It's awesome that your bettas loved it. Hopefully I'll find some rooibos and try it out too. Do you put it in your tank just for fun, or for treatment? Just curious =P

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
bl1507 tea leaves.... IAL... yup.

I really don't like the whole tea things. I'm afraid of chemicals or something. I just use IAL.

·
Registered
980 Posts
He really did get excited, huh? It's like a puppy with a vacuum cleaner... He doesn't know what to do with himself!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
aawwh

Aquarium salt helps fight off infections. Indian almond leaves and some teas release tannins, im not sure exactly what they do - but they seem to help sick fish feel better. Plus it tints the water amber colored, similar to their natural habitat. Also many people use IAL to help with spawning

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That's cute!

·
Registered
28 Posts
So what do you guys use the tea for?? I have tea, but I want to know what you guys use it for other than fin rot?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Awwwww that vid is just too cute!!!It's like he knows it will do him good!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
aw that's way cute! I did have the same question "is it harmful" and since it's not, i now want to try it just to see what Willie does with it :D lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the nice comments everyone! :)

If any of you end up putting tea in your tanks, let us know how it turned out! I wonder if all bettas like it, or if it's just a personal preference thing =P

1 - 20 of 23 Posts