Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my newbie-ness of having a fish (I got Andy a week ago!) I feel I am still observing every little thing he does to make sure it's all 'natural' and healthy. I have noticed something over the past week and I am wondering if it is a coincidence or if bettas just generally have a notable day rhythm?

Andy is super active when the light is on and there is more activity in the room (people+dog). He will explore all the decorations, plants and equipment tirelessly as if he has never seen them before :LOL: and surf the surface for food like there is no tomorrow if I step within three feet of his tank. He only takes small naps, usually on his betta hammock or on the suction cups; apparently that is one of his favorite napping spots.

At 'night' or when the light gets turned off, the natural daylight diminish and there is less activity in the room, he seems to go into 'slumber mode'. He will still swim around, especially if he spots me, but it seems like he goes into longer cycles of naps/rest and he is more likely to hide in the thick hornwort to sleep or inside his ship. One day he really worried me because I notice he will, at that time of the day, sleep almost diagonally inside the ship. I was so afraid he was sick/dying but the moment I turned out the light and he saw me, he swam right out and to the glass in front of me. It's happened multiple times so I guess bettas sometimes sleep in weird angles?

Is what I am observing a coincidence or is it actually normal for them to develop a day rhytm?

·
Super Moderator
6,202 Posts
Normal behavior.
Mine seems to know when it's day or night. They are more active during the day, even though the tank is totally covered (dark) and become inactive at night, though with light.

Light may extand active period, however they eventually rest. No light will make them inactive much sooner until around dawn.

Many on this forum, say they can feed their bettas at night. Mine will unlikely eat regardless of light/dark.

·
Super Moderator
6,202 Posts
Not really, or not all. I used to keep my breeders in the dark at all time. Now I keep tanks and tubs in the dark more to avoid algae growth.

My fish is out side. Though there's light at night, it's still too dark in most tubs.

Covers help mainly to avoid jumping. Some may jump after water change - don't know why.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sleeping/resting positions could really be weird.
They seem to know when it‘s sleeping time as mine (except the latest one - I haven‘t found out yet) change to a special sleeping spot which is not their daytime chillout place.
Could be coincidence aswell though.

Reactions: Seqathe

·
Super Moderator
6,202 Posts
Those in sororities usually mainly stay in certain areas. Though they may swim here and there, they usually return to their favourite place.

I haven't noticed specific preferred spot to rest during day/night. But most choose to rest somewhere near the surface - both day and night.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good to see them take a rest at night time.. one fave spot of my betta is beside a terracotta pot, he will tuck himself in. Got me worried at first time but seeing him rest there for couple of times and got used to it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fish sleep just like we do, except only half of their brain sleeps. The other half stays on alert for predators.
My Betta usually conks out for the night around 10:30-11 PM. She usually sleeps near the surface, hidden in the floating Hornwort. She is up at first light, as the receptors in her brain tell her it's time to wake. She alternates between swimming and short naps all day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts