Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two bettas currently housed in a Betta Bow 2.5 http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/betta-bow-25.htm

Both of them are males, a red crowntail, and a blue delta tail. My red crowntail has always been really hyper, and aggressive. My blue delta tail is a lot more laid back, and mellow. The home that they're currently in has a divider that has holes that facilitate the flow of water, and I've noticed that my delta tail never likes swimming by the holes, and I've always wondered why.

Today I got my answer when I realized that my crowntail has been nipping at his tail whenever some of his tail goes through the hole, and into the crowntail's side.

I'm just worried that he'll be stressed, what can I do to stop this?

But on a slight unrelated note, it's been cold where I live, so I have this heater, that supposed to heat up to 2.5-5 gallons, but it's only heating the water to 70 degrees, (the temperature in our home is 58-63 degrees)
This is the heater I use: http://www.petco.com/product/124961...ubBfb_YuRAVIpy_3eYYQU60gPRfMvCvsqhxoCbaHw_wcB

·
Registered
709 Posts
I use the same tank but never have those problems because my bettas arent aggressive and one is so tiny. I would suggest getting a sepearte tank.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My crowntail is tiny compared to my delta tail, he's always been aggressive, so at first I was hesitant to get him a tank mate (I thought he was lonely.) I currently cant afford to move the delta tail, he's got no other home, as my other tanks are being used by fan tail goldfish, (Their water would be too cold for him, and I think he'd get upset, they're fins are pretty long as well.)

·
Registered
709 Posts
[QUOTdon'plicitlyperfect;5478409]My crowntail is tiny compared to my delta tail, he's always been aggressive, so at first I was hesitant to get him a tank mate (I thought he was lonely.) I currently cant afford to move the delta tail, he's got no other home, as my other tanks are being used by fan tail goldfish, (Their water would be too cold for him, and I think he'd get upset, they're fins are pretty long as well.)[/QUOTE]

Betta fish don't get lonely. What you could do is put plastic mesh over the divider to block their view

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would decorative plants help in blocking their view?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might get another heater, but I don't think I can spend another $30 on another tank... :-(

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
im sorry!:( i know its hard, and expensive, but can you just get a 2-3 gallon tupperware container and 2 heaters? then upgrade the tupperware to a tank when possible?

It might be "ugly" but you can make it look nice, see mine!..Im just waiting for a stand for the other tank, then I'll have to cycle it...but this is just fine for now...and it was somewhere are around 5-7$ plus 20 for a heater...yes i know its expensive!....but they will outlive your fish, and several others most likley...

...just figured Id show you...and its actually the perfect shape for a betta, since they like shallower longer tanks, my new boy loves his temporary home! I also have one who has lived in a similar setup for a few months now, they dont mind!

but pleeease dont keep them together in that tank, especially if one is getting injured by it! would you let your kid sleep in a crib that injured it? I know I shouldn't compare the two, but its really not good, especially since it could cause the betta to be more prone to infection because the stress, fluctuating temps and constant injuries to the fins.

edit: you dont need a light.. I just happen to have a hood lying around and put the right bulb in it for some live plants..lol

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help, I might look into it. But I saw a tank being sold at walmart for $9 (1 gallon with led light) and the heater is probably $8, that I can afford a little more than just $30 gallons for the tank alone.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I believe PetSmart is having their $1.00 per gallon on tanks 10 gallons and over. If you have the room perhaps you could get a 10 and divide it? You could make a center "neutral" zone for the filter and heater.

Since your house temperature is 58-63 for a 10 gallon to 78-80 degrees requires a minimum heater size of 100 watts; a five gallon 75.

Aquarium Heater Size Guide

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I don't think anyone has said this yet, but I do not recommend dividing a 2.5 gallon tank between two fish. That tank is too small.

I would buy a 10 gallon because of Petco's $1 per gallon sale and make DIY dividers using craft mesh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts