Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having Betta health issues since I upgraded my betta from a basic 1/2 gallon betta bowl to a 3 gallon glass aquarium with a filter, ceramic rings and heater. He has been in the new tank 9 days. He has what I suspect is fin rot as well as ammonia burns and the beginning of bilateral popeye. I have treated with Bettafix for 4 days so far but have read back and forth reviews about it and am hesitant using is because I don't want it to kill the fish. I plan to use it tomorrow for the 5th day and that's it. I can't tell if there has really been any improvement. My fish, Dansby, eats NorthFin Betta Bits and gets Betta Pro shrimp patties supplementally. I just did an 80% water change, vacuumed his gravel, changed his filter and changed his plants to silk so that his fins are not further damaged. I treated the water with API Stress Coat, API Stress Zyme, & API Ammolock because the ammonia was higher in the new tank. Maybe because the good bacteria is not built up enough to take care of the ammonia. I did not know how long you should actually cycle the tank & 48 hours was clearly not long enough. I am very new to owning a Betta and he did well in his Betta bowl for 4 months, no filter & no heater, full water changes weekly. I have had to do a lot of internet research and have spent a ton of money trying to make his tank perfect. I can't believe all of this has happened in such a short amount of time. Please help! I am feeling super defeated and ready to give up. I love my fish but I feel like I am doing more harm than good. 馃様

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees fahrenheit
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? NorthFin Betta Bits
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? Betta Pro Shrimp Patties
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3 pellets twice a day, 1.5mm in size, Shrimp Patties every other day, 2 pellets 1.5mm size

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? weekly, he was in a half gallon betta bowl until 9 days ago when I switched him to the 3 gallon tank.
What percentage of water did you change? 100% when in betta bowl. Did first significant water change to new tank today due to trying to let it cycle initially. Before today, I did one other change of 25% in new tank.
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dipped out in betta bowl, vacuum now in new tank
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? none other than water conditioner until getting new tank. Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus is what I previously used in Betta bowl and when I initially set up the 3 gallon aquarium.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH): 60
Alkalinity (KH): 40
These readings are after the 80% water change.

My readings before changes were:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 0
ph: 6.0
kh: 40
gh: 30

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 5 days ago, fins shredded overnight, removed anything that could be sharp, ammonia burns 7 days ago, bilateral popeye 2 days ago
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed? dull in color
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed? started flaring in new tank (had never seen that before, freaked out a little) but still eating well and responsive to my voice
Is your Betta still eating? yes, appetite has not decreased at all
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? yes. Bettafix, on day 4, 3 -1/2 teaspoon fulls per day. Today I did an 80% water change added Ammolock, Stress Coat and Stress Zyme to water, new filter today, vacuumed gravel today, silk plants added today, plastic plants taken out today
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? 3-4 months, in new tank 9 days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no

Your fish is your responsibility.
When seeking help be thorough as members give advice based on the information you provide. While we have many knowledgeable fish keepers here, please remember that members' opinions are their own and that it is up to you to determine the best course of action for your fish. We are not responsible for any consequences resulting from following the advice you receive here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any photos from when you bought him and now so we can compare? Thank you.

Oh, and if you will attach as thumbnails we can enlarge and focus.
I have some, just have to upload to my computer first. Um, probably a silly question, but how do I attach as thumbnails, lol? I have to get ready for bed, work tomorrow, but I will definitely upload the pics tomorrow when I get off. Thank you so much. I am so happy my researching brought me to this site.

Administrator
Can you get a photo from above? Doesn't really look like pop-eye; a photo from the top would show better. A head-on shot as well.

Your boy is biting his own fins. This is not uncommon in long-finned Betta. No one know why they bite. Most common are tanks that are overly bright or not enough plants (live or artificial) or cover. Betta are shade- and cover-loving fish and sometimes react if they are in more open tanks.

There is a soft plastic plant that gives a great deal of cover and can be altered to fit https://www.chewy.com/marineland-bamboo-aquariums/dp/133090. I'm sure it can be found elsewhere.
Water Plant Plant community Vertebrate Nature
Water Vertebrate Plant Rectangle Fish supply

Here are a couple of examples.

Indian Almond Leaves and plain Rooibos Tea both have antifungal and antibacterial properties in addition to being calming. They will help prevent any infection. Float a leaf or a teabag in his tank. If the water doesn't darken you can brew a strong tea of either, condition and add to his tank until color is achieved. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.
Flower Plant Nature Sunlight Grass
Fish supply Pet supply Event Aquarium Marine biology

I prefer somewhere in between the two tints.

Cycling is a process and can take even two months. Here is the Forum's cycling guide CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial Test the water every other day to make sure you stay on top of the Ammonia and Nitrites.

Whatever you do, do not change the filter pad as it holds most of the nitrifying bacteria; if you change it you will have a cycle crash.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you get a photo from above? Doesn't really look like pop-eye; a photo from the top would show better. A head-on shot as well.

Your boy is biting his own fins. This is not uncommon in long-finned Betta. No one know why they bite. Most common are tanks that are overly bright or not enough plants (live or artificial) or cover. Betta are shade- and cover-loving fish and sometimes react if they are in more open tanks.

There is a soft plastic plant that gives a great deal of cover and can be altered to fit https://www.chewy.com/marineland-bamboo-aquariums/dp/133090. I'm sure it can be found elsewhere.
View attachment 1049855 View attachment 1049856

Indian Almond Leaves and plain Rooibos Tea both have antifungal and antibacterial properties in addition to being calming. They will help prevent any infection. Float a leaf or a teabag in his tank. If the water doesn't darken you can brew a strong tea of either, condition and add to his tank until color is achieved. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.
View attachment 1049857 View attachment 1049859

Cycling is a process and can take even two months. Here is the Forum's cycling guide CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial Test the water every other day to make sure you stay on top of the Ammonia and Nitrites.

Whatever you do, do not change the filter pad as it holds most of the nitrifying bacteria; if you change it you will have a cycle crash.
What is good to bring the nitrites down? I will try to get some from above pictures. I am gonna buy that plant too and try the tea. Thank you so much!!

Administrator
You can only bring Nitrites, Ammonia and Nitrates down with water changes. In his tank I'd do no more than a half gallon at a time. By the time you consider substrate, decor, filter, heater and, depending on the waterline, a three gallon holds 2.0-2.5 gallons.

It may take several weeks for the cycle to establish but it is well worth doing.

If you let that plant flow over the top that will give him shade and more of a sense of security.

He's a lovely boy. I'm rather fond of Elephant Ear Betta.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

View attachment 1049855 View attachment 1049856

View attachment 1049857 View attachment 1049859

Is there a particular brand of roobios tea that you prefer? I want to make sure I get the right kind.

Premium Member
Lots!
I did find the almond leaves on chewy and was gonna order some of those too. You don't do them simultaneously right? Just use one or the other?
You could definitely use both and even just let an IAL float. You can also prepare a tea for him with them, but if you are already using the Roobios, that鈥檚 perfect. Just keep him water nice and dark with tannins with whichever you choose or both. I use IAL鈥檚 in all of my tanks and they absolutely beneficial in so many ways, The Indian almond leaf will eventually sink if there is no bubble nest, so in that case, he can use it for a place to rest. Once it starts to fall apart, you can remove it.

The most important thing for your tank is that it is cycled. You鈥檒l want to keep up with those water changes too. If you鈥檙e unsure and/or have any nitrites or ammonia, I would read through the tutorial @RussellTheShihTzu linked above. It鈥檚 good to read through anyway since your tank is new.

Good luck and keep us posted! Those tannins are amazing!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could definitely use both and even just let an IAL float. You can also prepare a tea for him with them, but if you are already using the Roobios, that鈥檚 perfect. Just keep him water nice and dark with tannins with whichever you choose or both. I use IAL鈥檚 in all of my tanks and they absolutely beneficial in so many ways, The Indian almond leaf will eventually sink if there is no bubble nest, so in that case, he can use it for a place to rest. Once it starts to fall apart, you can remove it.

The most important thing for your tank is that it is cycled. You鈥檒l want to keep up with those water changes too. If you鈥檙e unsure and/or have any nitrites or ammonia, I would read through the tutorial @RussellTheShihTzu linked above. It鈥檚 good to read through anyway since your tank is new.

Good luck and keep us posted! Those tannins are amazing!
I added a few small IA leaves today and I have new plants to add to the tank tomorrow during a water change. I hope they will provide more shade and coverage. I put an aquarium background on 3 sides of my tank and he seems to be happy with it. My water readings have been good this week with no ammonia or nitrates/nitrites! :) His fins still do not seem to be improving, they are still shredding and his top fin is consistently clamped so I started another round of betta fix today and plan to do it for 4-5 days. I would like to know, how often I should change my ceramic rings and filter? Is it better to rinse the filter? and how often?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts