Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main concern with my beta is that he is not eating and he doesn't seem to be able to hold himself upright. It will take 15-25 min to feed him 2 pellets and he only every floats around.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 Gallon
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum Betta Formula
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Every morning 2 pellets, i watch and make sure he eats them and if he doesnt i remove them.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Bi-Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccume
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Only use Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:0.25ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH:6.0
Hardness (GH): no form of testing
Alkalinity (KH): no form of testing

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about a month ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? over the year and a half we have owned him, he has gone from white to green.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Recently he only stays in the corner of his tank verticaly (apposed to horizontally like a fish should be) at the very surface, have not seen him swim down in about a month. its not that he cant (not a swim bladder issue) he just doesnt. When changing water today he was hanging out at the bottom instead which makes me think its not an inability to go down.
Is your Betta still eating? Its tough to get him to eat some times, could take up to 15 min
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? We did a Beta Fix (API) for healing fins and skin and that was done for a week. All natural for healing betta bacterial infections.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? once about a year ago, swim bladder and fin loss. The bladder was fixed within the week, the fin loss has grown back.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? We have owned for about a year and a half, no known illness noticed after purchase.

NOTE: the image is sideways, his mouth is at the top of the water

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sounds like your filter is not cycled if you're getting an ammonia reading.

2 pellets a day is not enough for a betta. That's starving him. mine eats easily 6 to 8 pellets a day. 3 to 4 in the morning and 3 to 4 in the evening

white betta's marble, that's normal. Mine is starting to marble after two weeks of having him.

you got your work cut out for you. what kind of filter do you have and how often do you change the cartridge? Or is it a sponge?

get some Prime, it will detoxify the ammonia. Get some frozen blood worms, they love those

if he's not bloating, we need you to give him a good dose of food.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Tank cycling won't happen when pH is that low. Good news is OP doesn't need to worry about ammonia much because it will stay harmless. I would do 25% water change once a week though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont really think you understand, he isnt eating, its not like we havent tried feeding him. he is uninterested in any food we give him. when he does try to eat it he struggles. it takes an honest 30 minutes to coax him into eating 2 pellets.

The tank has been cycled, we have had him in this tank for over a year.

The tank is a National Geographic Waterfall Oasis, the link below is a video review incase you are unfamiliar with the tank.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are there any other symptoms? I'm telling you now, you need to up his food to more then two pellets a day,

Switch up his diet and entice him with some frozen blood worms. If there is no other symptoms besides the two then there is not much to go on

The more you can get him to eat, the quicker you can get this switched around. The filter might be too strong for him now. Try to feed him with the filter off.

What are you using to test your water with? Test strips don't tell you the actual number. How are your nitrates that high? Test your tap water. Do another pwc

·
Registered
227 Posts
Some people have positive readings of ammonia in their tap water. Maybe you could try testing that too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have turned the filter off for a bit just because yes it is a hard flow, i also dont really know how they shot up that high, its unusual for the tank. im going to try getting some different food. any tips on how to actually geed him, i normally just drop in the food, it floats up against the glass, then he headbutts it till he gets it in his mouth.

·
Registered
542 Posts
New Life is one of the top foods you can give him along with North Fin. Frozen blood worms or frozen bryne shrimp, he'll love that. Mine loves frozen food, just thaw it out in some tank water in a glass or container before feeding him. make sure you keep feeding him until his stomach is gently rounded. The more food you give him, the quicker he'll gain his strength back.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i have turned the filter off for a bit just because yes it is a hard flow, i also dont really know how they shot up that high, its unusual for the tank. im going to try getting some different food. any tips on how to actually geed him, i normally just drop in the food, it floats up against the glass, then he headbutts it till he gets it in his mouth.
I have a betta who has trouble eating unless I shut off the filter at mealtime.

I also had a betta who did the same thing, he kept striking at the food and missing. Eventually he seemed to get tired and give up. I got Garlic Guard, because apparently bettas go nuts for it. I put some of the Garlic Guard in a small container and defrosted frozen brine shrimp in it. Then I would take a very small measuring spoon and scoop out some shrimp. I tried to get only one shrimp at a time, so that he wouldn't miss any. It actually really seemed to help him, and he ate very well. For what it's worth, the parameters in the tank he was in were way off and it was too cold, and when I moved him (he had unsuitable tankmates) and added a heater, it helped.

When feeding bloodworms, I use a pair of tweezers to feed them one at a time. I've had one betta who hated bloodworms, but no one has ever refused brine shrimp.

·
Registered
542 Posts
there is one other thing I can think of. It's possible he has internal parasites called Hex which is what bloat is.

If you can get your hands on it, metroplex by seachem or metro + or Paraguard by seachem.

not feeding your betta enough will allow Hex to get a foot hold inside the fish and cause problems. Watch for stringy white poop, that would be a good indicator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so upon closer look at the tank, i didnt see anything on the fish, but i did notice a couple of these guys climbing around the glass.

When we cycled the tank we used a small amount of filter used from our local pet store. because the filter was already being used it had already cycled so the tank took to it immediately. When we showed our pet store images of these worms they said they were nothing to worry about and they probably got brought over from their tanks.

Also worth note, the filter that we used from the store was from a gold fish pond.

also note these images and video are macro footage, the worms in reality are only a couple millimetres in size.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
The advice I got for goldfish was to treat all new fish for parasites right away. Because your filter media came from a goldfish pond, I would treat with Paraguard ASAP and see if it helps. The bottle says it's safe for your BB.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Argh...stupid Petsmart and Petco have severely cut their Seachem supplies. Do you have a local fish store that isn't a chain? I can only buy my Seachem products at a locally owned store. You can also look for a product called PraziPro.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts