Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kitty, my first and only irl betta, has discovered the rocks that are in my tank. The rocks form an island that fills about 1/3 the tank. Well, after building this structure (used as an in tank pot for Lucky Bamboo) Kitty realized that she could swim in the tunnels created by stacking the rocks on each other. So I blocked all the tight space with smaller rocks (collect rocks and have over 5000 rocks =) ) so there is no way the is stuck. There are three exits from the tunnels and no dead ends.

Now that that is out of the way, Kitty is ative as ever. No diferance in behavior except the obsession with the tunnels. She spends almost all day in there, except to breath and eat. What is wrong with me baby???

Help please???

·
Registered
767 Posts
Most bettas love having tunnels to explore and hide in....sounds like perfectly normal behavior to me!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Bettas LOVE to be able to swim through things. This is why you will see a lot of people suggest plants and decor that offer hiding places/tunnels. This is totally normal and nothing is wrong with your baby, I promise. Though I would advise being careful as I would be worried for the rocks to fall and hurt Kitty.

·
Registered
767 Posts
LOL....I was thinking you meant "in real life" betta.....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! I never thought of that!, So this is normal eh??? Well, I intend to add 5 more girls in with Kitty... Do you think thank that her having a territory (I guess that it what it is...) will affect my adding more girls?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
There are some really awesome threads about sororities on this forum. Here's a sticky on sororities.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

I just bag all of my girls up in their own zip-loc baggies when I'm introducing someone new. It's just easier for me to float a zip-log baggie half full in my tank than try and find cups and then hope they don't spill over. Anyways, they all have to be floating at the same time for at least fifteen minutes. The longer the better. Acclimate them like you would any other tank. Release the least aggressive girl(s) first, and then the most aggressive girl(s) last.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
You really can't pick favorites. You have to love/care for all of your girls equally in a sorority. One girl guarding her territory needs to be as much of a concern as any other girl in your tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts