Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious: what color is your betta's poop? Since I've been caring for my sister's fish more, I've noticed that his poop is red. I got so scared when I first saw it because I thought he was hurt! Then I noticed that the flakes she feeds him are red. Otis just likes scaring me! -.- My fish, Sally and Donald, have poop that comes in different shades of brown. (I sound like an infomertial... "Buy BETTA POOP! It comes it red, purple, pink, blue, and all different shades of brown!")

·
Registered
535 Posts
well, normally i would be concerned if it was red.. but the food could have something to do with it. because my bettas that eat mostly orange pellets have orange poop. and all the other poops are alll shades of brown.. mostly orange brown or orange green haha

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I held up the food to the poop and it's the exact shade of red. :p That kind of makes me nervous... Doesn't that mean that he's not absorbing all the nutrients? >.< Or do you think it's just food coloring?

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's usually pretty close to the color of food they eat. Most of the time it's brown since their food is brown, but I've seen it be green (peas) and heard it can be white if they eat their own eggs.

It's probably nothing to worry about. You can try picking different colored flakes and see if the color changes :p.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine are the same color as the pellets. When vacuuming, I sometimes have trouble distinguishing between poo and leftover pellets. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
wow

I never knew that their poop could change color depending on their food... also, i have never fed it anything other than pellets. Exept my betta raven ate red flakes and red pellets so i dont know. His poop was never red tho.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I feed my bettas omega one pellets, which are red. And their poop is red. I'd say it's nothing to be concerned about unless it's a different color than the food.

White poop = illness

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My fish have all lately being doing really BIG poo. Makes me wince. Surely fishbottoms aren't that big.
Otis takes a giant poop every single time I clean his tank. I've timed him. It has never taken him more that 30 seconds. The rest of his poop is normal sized, but his post-cleaning turds are so big they cause a mini tsunami.

I can't believe some of the things I spend my time thinking about, these days..
I'm the one who started this topic. Really?

A good turd is usually deep brownish red or dark brown.
"Good turd"... Haha.

I would think that what goes in is what comes out. Love the topic!
ME TOO! :D

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
LOL at the topic! I noticed that my betta's poo was orange after I changed him to Omega One pellets...he and my new little girl just love them!

·
Registered
54 Posts
My bettas have brown poopies ... But leave the color , they're H-U-G-E !!! How can a thing like that come out of this little fishies' body ?!?! I was wondering all the time and I'm still wondering O_O

·
Registered
213 Posts
LOL best topic!! Kudo's is usually a brownish since he gets the brown pellets. He pretty much eats all his food at feeding time as well. He may let one or two float by him but then he goes jetting after them.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Best topic ever!!! :D Mine has brown poo, red poo, worm poo, yes when he poops after he ate a bloodworm, it's shaped like a worm. lol

·
Registered
337 Posts
My bettas have brown poopies ... But leave the color , they're H-U-G-E !!! How can a thing like that come out of this little fishies' body ?!?! I was wondering all the time and I'm still wondering O_O
Yeah. Same with my betta. It's quite literally the size of his face. I still look at him and marvel a bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.