Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few questions since I am new to Betta (one week now :wink3:
Henry (my betta) started swimming back and forth yesterday. Normally he would explore, do twirls around the plants and swim peacefully. This swimming is faster and may be what some say is glass surfing. I put a black background on part of the tank but it doesn't change it. Since the tank doesn't show to be starting it's cycle yet and he gets Prime every day, didn't think it was the water. Water testing comes up the same as it was a week ago. Either way, I did a 50% water change just in case Yesterday, it was left to right. Today, it is front to back. Is this normal behavior for a betta?
Also, from day one when he eats his flakes he spits them out, then eats them again. I ordered him pellets but not here yet. Is that normal?
Thanks for any wisdom you can share

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks, I've been sitting here worrying that he isn't resting and has been doing this since yesterday afternoon. I've had fish before, just not a betta. I'm just new with this type of fish so I appreciate all help. Just thought maybe I got an OCD fish :). Do they eventually realize that their reflection isn't another fish?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It takes some time for them to settle in and glass surfing is something again that they will settle dawn and get use to. The best way to end the glass surfing is to put plants on all three sides of the tank and plant heavily. This cuts down on any reflection,and also calms them down by giving them a sense of safety.

As for the food, When you feed flakes is it the bigger flakes they pick up and spit out? If this is the case betta have small teeth and they tend to nibble or as we see it taking a flake and spitting it out. The reason is they can't swallow the whole flake. So they bite some off and then go back for more. Nibble spit, nibble spit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that eases my mind a ton. I'm having trouble finding plants without things I don't want. I just threw three plants outside in a makeshift tank because they were getting what looked like burnt, dry leaves and spots. Got them at the local pet store and will be ordering online now from trusted sources.
Another question; is there any benefit at all to an air stone? I know betta don't typically need it, but what about the plants? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There is a benefit to an air stone and i have one in each of my tanks When you have a hood or canopy on the tank the air is trapped under the hood or canopy and when the betta come up for air it's good air not stale. It also helps aerate the plants.

·
Super Moderator
19,453 Posts
I also have used bubble wands and bubblers.

What most people don't realize is that a Betta uses its gills to breathe unless it *needs* the labyrinth organ. I have well-oxygenated tanks and my Betta seldom surface breathe. IME, Betta and other fish swimming in clean, well-oxygenated water with good current (not overwhelming) will do better and live longer. Plants do better, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts