Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

My betta has a 3-gallon tank with a place to hide, plants, and a background of tropical plants and rocks. However, he seems to see his reflection every once in a while in the tank and he flares. A lot. Earlier today, he flared for a good ten minutes and I was scared he would get too stressed so I covered his tank with a small scarf to avoid him seeing his reflection.

He never seemed to have that problem before I added the background but at the same time, I was told that adding a background was better for my betta.

Do you have any tips on what I could do to avoid him being stressed out? He started flaring at his reflection yesterday but he's had his new background for five days now.

Thank you very much for your answers!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Don't worry about it! Just let him do his thing, if he gets stressed or tired, he'll stop. Eventually he'll figure out there's no danger, just let him be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first betta would do this for what seemed like forever! I figured he was defending his territory from possible intruders haha!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My betta is doing that now. He was seriously doing it for 5 hours. I watched an entire movie, made tacos, two grilled cheese sandwiches I came back into my room he was still in the same spot flaring those gills n fins.

·
Super Moderator
2,467 Posts
My little guy does that at the oddest times, generally when there's a change in light levels happening. I've threatened him many times that if he doesn't behave himself, I'm going to let the fish in the glass come take his tank (I think he realizes its an idle threat, just like when I threatened to put him in a decanter for flaring at me).

Anyhow, typically, if the light in his tank is brighter than the lights outside, he'll see his reflection. Couple ways of helping him out would be to tape white paper to the outside of the tank or turn up the lights outside of his tank. Generally they will start to calm down, although it can go on for a while.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much to everyone for your insight on the matter! I was really scared it was unhealthy for him but I guess it's just normal behaviour from a betta!

He recently calmed down and seems to do it slightly less, which is good. I turned his tank a bit away from the light and it seems to help him a lot. I switched his tank back to it's normal position yesterday and he stayed calm.

He also has a log to retreat so I think he uses that if he gets too stressed out.

Again, thank you so much for your replies, it really helped! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts