Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for the Science Fair this year, I REALLY want to do something about fish/bettas and their proper care (open to ideas on what it could be about aside from proper care), but I need ideas! I don't want to torture my bettas in cold 1/2gal tanks, but I need examples. Info. Ideas. Things people can understand/believe. I want them to know what bettas REALLY need. Not just some water and food once a week. That they're living creatures and deserve more than what some people give them. /mild rant/
Help me out, people! :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Thats a neat idea. You could incorporate photos of their natural habitat into your presentation. That's a myth that needs busted about bettas

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooh, good idea! *writes on list* Thank you! What else? Maybe a list of websites to view if they don't believe me?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's all about pictures! :-D Maybe see if you can use an outlet to bring one of your Betta's in, maybe in a 1 gal tank or something?
I thought about that, but I'm so paranoid about something happening to him, and there's so many spastic kids at school...Maybe a ton of pictures? :D

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
You could also get a large pic of a betta and describe the different fins and their purposes. Also you could describe the differences between male and females and maybe show examples of tail types and explain the "flare". Thats a little more sciencey.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea you could do a reference page with websites and add it to a betta care and information sheet that you could hand out to people. this site has some awesome rice paddy field pics from different countrys.

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/rice-paddy.html
You could also get a large pic of a betta and describe the different fins and their purposes. Also you could describe the differences between male and females and maybe show examples of tail types and explain the "flare". Thats a little more sciencey.
oooh, those pictures are PERFECT!! And great ideas! Thank you so much! :)

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Well I would say to go around your neighborhood or to your local pet store and hand out a survey asking common questions and have poeple that usually go there, answer them and bring them back. At the end of the week try to get them all and see which are the most commonly wrong questions.

Simple questions like, can a betta be housed with another betta/s

Or how many gallons do you think a betta needs?

Things like that will really help you!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not sure how much you want to spend/how much room you have, but maybe set up a sorority and explain the dynamics and how it works, such as more than 4 females allowing for a diffusion of aggression, how pecking orders are established, et cetera. And then you can make a slide show with pictures and videos of the sorority. Plus, you can put some information about how they're in a heated tank and generally what tank sizes are recommended.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If you have a laptop, see if you can find some really awesome videos! If not, PICTURES! Haha
No laptop...so.. PICTURES GALORE! :D

Well I would say to go around your neighborhood or to your local pet store and hand out a survey asking common questions and have poeple that usually go there, answer them and bring them back. At the end of the week try to get them all and see which are the most commonly wrong questions.

Simple questions like, can a betta be housed with another betta/s

Or how many gallons do you think a betta needs?

Things like that will really help you!
That's a GREAT idea!! I'll see if I can do that!

is it a science fair where you have to do an experiment? that's the hard thing about live animals, its really hard to do something ethical with them. but if you just have to research, then woo! easy as pie.
Nope, just research and then slap somethings onto a piece of cardboard, haha. xD

Not sure how much you want to spend/how much room you have, but maybe set up a sorority and explain the dynamics and how it works, such as more than 4 females allowing for a diffusion of aggression, how pecking orders are established, et cetera. And then you can make a slide show with pictures and videos of the sorority. Plus, you can put some information about how they're in a heated tank and generally what tank sizes are recommended.
I'd love to do that, but my Mom would never agree :p But great idea :) I'm ( depending on how much space I have on the board ) going to put tank sizes and their recommended water change schedule, what you need to own a betta, common myths, ect.

Thank you, everyone for your ideas!! Keep 'em comin! :)

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Also common myths for example how many people think bettas can be shipped in a wet papertowel.

Belive it or not i really had somone tell me they were shipped in damp papertowels all the time and lived. I couldnt belive it myself!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also common myths for example how many people think bettas can be shipped in a wet papertowel.

Belive it or not i really had somone tell me they were shipped in damp papertowels all the time and lived. I couldnt belive it myself!

:shock2: *chokes* OMG seriously?!?! That's horrible!! :( I hope that's not true!!

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
:shock2: *chokes* OMG seriously?!?! That's horrible!! :( I hope that's not true!!
As do I hope it isn't true.

I believe that if the owner goes through so much to ship them they wouldn't put them like this.

Then again they are people.

·
Registered
354 Posts
U could show various dieses and the atrotious conditions at pet shops compared to your setup

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
@Wolfboy51: That is also a very good idea since people are always so panic-y when hey have a pet that is sick. Or just don't see any difference.

Visuals help a ton. Youd be surprised how well they help.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know itd help me ive never had to deal with a sick fish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.