Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I like to first admit I’m a beginner and really seeking for help! =( my betta is a week old in it’s new tank. And has been looking rather ‘lifeless’. For the lack of better word. It’s just been floating around and sitting on the leaf of a plant I have in there. But good news is that it’s actually eating well. responding at times especially when I hover my fingers over. It’s eating fine but doesn’t go around looking for it. I have to drop the pallet in front of it before it quickly swims to take a bite. Is it alright? I know it suffered probably some trauma reaching here (delivery took 3 days). But I suppose it should acclimatize since it has been a week? I notice some part of its fins has fallen when I changed the water.. could be from the injury during the delivery. Is it normal for it to be that way? I haven’t owned a betta since I was a kid and This time I wanna have a better environment for it. Help! Thank you..

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 7 liters (I know it’s small. It’s on my office desk)
Does it have a filter? Used to I removed it as it was bothering it too much. Just hid away from it in the plant all of the time.
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 27 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Regular betta pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Dried
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4-5 pellets everyday with 2 day weekend rest.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Just did once today
What percentage of water did you change?
30%
What is the source of your water? Tap, left sitting out for over 48 hours
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Vacuum a little (accidentally sucked the fins in a little before quickly pushing it out. I feel extremely bad for this, still in a little state of shock)
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
Regular anti-chlorine

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: my parameters kit has yet to arrive. Already ordered
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
It’s been like that for a whole week
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
It lost a bit of its tail fin on its way here
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Still lethargic looking
Is your Betta still eating?
Yes!
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Not yet
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Not to my knowledge
How long have you owned your Betta?
A week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
Yes, on its way it lost a small part of its fin.

060F1559-85CD-4CBD-B67A-67309F9421B0.jpeg
0E5C7837-7C2E-4131-8345-C5F415AFEA04.png

·
Super Moderator
18,320 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

The first thing I notice are those heavy, heavy fins. When this heavy they can make swimming a real struggle and can cause the Betta to rest quite often. When Betta have fins this heavy it is suggested a lot of resting places; especially near the top. Broad-leaved plants are best whether silk or real. Anubias are an easy beginner plant. You can tie them to decor or let them float to give him shade/cover.

Can you post a photo of the entire tank?

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
I'm going to echo that those gorgeous fins are likely the main part of the problem. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about that except what the others have suggested giving him lots of resting places so that he can swim from perch to perch.

Please consider upping your water change schedule, without a filter and since your tank is uncycled you should be doing water changes every other day. If you can't do them that frequently then please consider doing them at least 2x a week. You just need to change 25 to 50% of the water depending on how long it takes you to vacuum the tank.

I recommend getting an air pump, sponge filter, and air flow control valve for him. The sponge filter will help filter the tank, give the beneficial bacteria some place to grow, help the heater heat the tank evenly, and give him some extra O2 in the water which he'll appreciate. The air flow control valve will allow you to control just how strong the bubbles are

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
Oh forgot to say. The BettaFix shouldn't hurt anything but probably won't help either. It's a tea tree oil based medicine that's not as strong as MelaFix so it's easier to dose for a betta. It's the equivalent of a mild antiseptic. I'd use Indian Almond Leaves, and Seachem StressGuard rather then it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your responses. Very kind and sincere! Yes it’s a half moon. I’ve re-installed the filters and laid rocks under the flow just to reduce the water currents. It’s finally much happier now and springs around when it sees me in the mornings and as soon as I turn the table lamp on. (Food time!) It’s definitely not very active but surely not as lethargic as before. Now I understand though, imagine around with those huge fins. I’ve been fervent with my WC now and with along with the filter, I believe all is starting to be more stable =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts