Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a new betta keeper and need some advice. I bought a betta about a month and a half ago and put him through two weeks of quarantine with API General Cure, API Erythromycin, and Hikari Ich X. He looked fine after going through that, but in the last few days has started showing some discoloration (dark patches on body). I also saw him lying/floating at the bottom of the tank earlier.

He's eating fine and I don't see any other external signs of illness, so I was wondering if I should put him through another round of medications or wait and see if it clears up?

I'm keeping him in a planted (with CO2) 5 gallon Fluval Spec tank under the following conditions:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-ish
pH: 7.6
gH: 30
kH: 40
Temperature: 80F

There's also an algae bloom I've been fighting, so I've been doing a lot of big water changes and adding API Algaefix per the instructions on the bottle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I stink at diagnosing from pictures, but could the dark patches be pigment like he's starting to show a marble pattern?

I'm not a big fan of anecdotal evidence, but a quick google search (I know, the worst way to get pet info usually) did pop up some people who felt that their fish didn't react well to algae fix. It might be worth doing a water change to see if that perks him up a bit. I assume that you are using a water conditioner like Prime to get rid of potential water toxins like chlorine?

He's already had a lot of meds, so I'd wait for someone to tell you that they sees signs of a specific problem before treating with more meds.

Good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
he looks like a marble, for sure. also sometimes bettas just chill on the bottom of the tank. not often, but it happens. i would discontinue any chemicals aside from a conditioner for a day or two, do some changes, and see how he feels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts