Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a heavily planted 10 gallon tank that I am cycling for a few weeks, and I'd like to start a soriority in it. Would it be best to add 5 or 6 female bettas in such a set up? I will have a panda cory in the tank as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I wouldn’t try a sorority in a 10 gallon, it just isn’t enough room for each girl to have her own territory. I can’t say for sure I’m by no means a fish expert but 10 gallons might not handle the bioload for that many fish. Unless all your females were tank raised together I’d also quarantine each and everyone of them before putting them all in the same tank. It’s so sad losing fish because one ended up over stressed and sick. Even if you put all quarantined and healthy females together, if one female is bullied or they just can’t handle the stress they will get sick. Just something to think about... not saying you shouldn’t try, just have a backup plan if you need to separate them in the long run.
research research research. So many stories about sorority tanks on the internet, the good the bad and the ugly ugly lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I have been researching for weeks and many pages say 5 is good because its an odd number and they get their pecking order set up. Also, i tried planting it as muy as possible for them and a sponge filter, and i do have a back up plan for them. And they were raised together so im hoping the fighting will be less.

·
Registered
277 Posts
awesome! Sounds like you got it all covered! Best of luck to you!
Have some meds on hand just in case, the unexpected always happens to me LOL since I’m in quarantine myself it’s not like I can just run to the store for stuff at the moment (sad face)( laughy face)

·
Registered
661 Posts
The whole deal with odd numbers is not true, that’s for sled dogs not fish pecking orders. Or maybe I should say it’s superstition.
I successfully kept a sorority of four for a year and a half after one of my sorority sisters died. Whatever number you start at, buy from one breeder who keeps all the girls together. Then it’s almost no stress to them as they’ve already been living together. Once you only have two or three and they start fighting split them up! The common factor with sorority death and stress is adding new fish. So just don’t, as then you’ll need to separate more fish instead of a few.
I have three girls from my sorority living happily in a divided tank now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much! That's very helpful. How many gallons are the four bettas in? So far my 5 girls have been doing great, the initial agression has dwindled and they leave each other pretty much alone now. And I did buy from a store that kept the girls all together since they were young, so they're pretty used to each other by now.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have them in a 10 gallon, I started with five, then four, then that became three, and since one was blind I divided the tank before fins got tattered. That in itself was the amazing part, as the sorority was established for a total of two and a half years with one member being completely blind. No bits were ever taken out of her fins, until that last one died. Pluto(the blind), Jupiter(the fat boss), Neptune, Zenith(Rip), and Mars(Rip) were my Sorority. Zenith died from overfeeding after an extended vacation and Mars in TB outbreak. (TB is bad, but a total loss is preventable). I want to do a sorority again but I'll wait until I have space again, as my two 10g tanks are divided up right now.
Can you share pics of your girls and the tank? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes for sure! Those names are amaziiing i love theeem. Here are some photos of the tank. The girls are harley, raven, luna, stella, and rogue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts