Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Not technically, they'll court each other and she may spread her eggs out but they'll likely get eaten up by the other fish soon after. They are not prolific breeders like livebearers are so you don't have to worry about over population at all lol.

So what I was going to propose if you did the Cherries would be:
7 Betta Girls
8-10 Cherry Barbs
1 loner fish (like Peacock Gudgeon or a Ram or Apistogramma)

So I'm slightly confused, you're worried about adding the Cherries but not about adding the platies before? Or did you just now realize or something? This isn't intended to be rude, I'm just really curious is all!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Ah, okay.

Ooh, so I can still have one of those fish with the rest? Cause I'll admit, the peacock gudgeon was so beautiful! He won't try to harm the small barbs or girls?

And I guess it's because I didn't hear so much about platies biting tails, while I always heard that cherry barbs constantly do it. I think that's why, but I was still worried about platies too. :)

Thank you! I'll bring it up with my dad again. I think he'll really love with peacock or ram, probably both!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Oh my gosh...uhm...help?

Atlas and Scarlet are both jumping at the divider o.o Like, nonstop. Is there anything I can do to stop this? I don't mind jumping since I know the water level is more than low enough, but I think this much will be bad for them. I'll go distract them a bit so they stop but wow o.o Never saw that before.

Edit: They stopped for the most part, thankfully. Hm...wonder what I can do. I don't want them trying to get at teach other so much. Atlas only flares occasionally but yeah. Hopefully they get used to it soon. Scarlet hasn't been in there for more than a week. Atlas was there a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Where have you heard of Cherry Barbs nipping? I've had Cherries with many different fish and they've never been trouble at all!

If you want both the Peacock and the Rams then I suggest not to do the schooler (cherries) so you don't overload the tank. So your list would look like this:

7-9 Female Bettas
1 Peacock Gudgeon
1-2 Rams (preferably male and female or both females)

And for the other ones, I assume they're boys? I try not to allow my fish to jump for their foods when they're in divided tanks so they don't try to jump the border. It usually takes around two weeks before they're settled in, sometimes a bit longer for more feisty fish.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Huh, that's weird. I don't quite remember the exact places.

I see. I am keeping the water low enough so they can't possibly jump over it, since I do like to see them jump! It's adorable. And yeah, they are feisty little males. Scar is a bit calmer and flared somewhat less, though. Atlas darts around and flares nonstop once he sees a fish, head butting the glass XD.

Ah, I see. What are the least amount of cories possible? I'm trying to see how I could do this. I still have to see what my father decides but I like to know all the possibilities. I'm guessing rams and cories don't work together? I'll probably try for least amount of barbs, like 7 females, 2 rams. Depends.

On a side note, if I don't get the cories, what are tank standards? I'm getting a 5.5 for the 3 guppies and betta but now I'm curious to see what would happen in the different situations like the betta and cories, or all three if they are compatible (with a bigger tank if necessary, but I'd like to keep it smallish). I've taken a liking to their odd little faces at Petco (I looked yesterday). Now that I think about it, I didn't find any cherry barbs (they had a tank for them but I guess no shipments that week?), but I'll keep a lookout (or check the 2 nearby stores).

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
All schoolers need at least 5 in a group but more is always better regardless of the species. For cories, minimum is usually 20 gallons, though some will say 10 but I find that all cories are active and so get a little cramped in only 10 gallons.

Rams and cories work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This thread caught my eye as it started out to be on the Platies Betta sorority mix. I have a well planted, 30 gallon tank with 3 adult Sunset Platies, 4 adolescents and probably a dozen or more fry, some of which may have just arrived today. (Boy can those live bearing Platies delivery babies). Yesterday I bought 8 very colorful young, female Bettas to establish a sorority and the overnight delivery is supposed to be in for my pickup in a couple of hours. So we are going to see pretty soon how the Platies and female Bettas get along.

I have enjoyed reading the comments here and have learned a few things, some of which I may tend to follow and some not so much. Assuming the Bettas arrive in good shape I intend to acclimate them to the tank water and introduce them all together. I have read a variety of opinions on introduction, as well as care, and no one suggests a guaranteed result for one or the other.

I should end this with a goofy face but I don't know if it should be a happy or sad one. Only after I see all of these fish together.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Are they coming from the same source or all different ones? If different you'll need to quarantine them from each other. If the same... probably can get away with a shorter QT just in case they picked something up in transit.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
This thread caught my eye as it started out to be on the Platies Betta sorority mix. I have a well planted, 30 gallon tank with 3 adult Sunset Platies, 4 adolescents and probably a dozen or more fry, some of which may have just arrived today. (Boy can those live bearing Platies delivery babies). Yesterday I bought 8 very colorful young, female Bettas to establish a sorority and the overnight delivery is supposed to be in for my pickup in a couple of hours. So we are going to see pretty soon how the Platies and female Bettas get along.

I have enjoyed reading the comments here and have learned a few things, some of which I may tend to follow and some not so much. Assuming the Bettas arrive in good shape I intend to acclimate them to the tank water and introduce them all together. I have read a variety of opinions on introduction, as well as care, and no one suggests a guaranteed result for one or the other.

I should end this with a goofy face but I don't know if it should be a happy or sad one. Only after I see all of these fish together.
Quarantining those fish would be a great idea, I would personally consider it a must. The fish would be coming straight out of a high stress situation (shipping), and then immediately be put in another, long term stressful environment, made even more stressful by the presence of platies- and it's well established that stress leads to illness, and in tanks like sororities one fish with acute columnaris can take every single fish out within a week- and it DOES happen. Of course in the end it is your decision, but, speaking from experience, if you can take steps to avoid ripping apart big, nice tanks, you should take them. Quarantining is responsible fishkeeping.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.