Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting my first female betta sorority and I had a few questions.

1. How much plants does the tank have to be? Because I already have about 10 small plants (I'm planing to buy more w/ different sizes)

2. How much caves/shelter should I get? I have a 2 small artificial caves and I'm going to buy Malaysian sink wood soon.

3. I have a 10 gallon.... Will it work!??

4. I have a spongefilter & the current is pretty strong, should I get a different filter?

5. how should I introduce the female bettas to the tank without them killing each
other?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
1. The more the better! You need some taller and bushier/thicker plants to help break up line of sight. You can't have too many plants!

2. Have at least as many hides as you plant yo have females if not 1 or 2 extra. Make sure to spread them out so they are not all by eachother. Make sure to do the. Do the nylon test on the driftwood, female may have shorter but are still susceptible to tears from rough decor.

3. 10g can work but a 20 would be better, more room for them to have privacy when they need it.

4. Sponge filters that run off air pumps are fine, if it's noisy from being full blast use a pressure valve (black plastic "T"with a knob to adjust air flow).

5. Once densely planted and other decor and hides added, a like the girls in thier cups, lights off, and put them into the tank in rapid succession (when you let one out, let them all loose in. The tank. Keep the light for for the day to reduce stress. Make sure your filter is cycled or be prepared to do frequent liquid ammonia and nitrite tests and water changes as needed.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
1. You want a jungle, as many plants as you can get that are soft and silky, not plastic or hard fabric.

2. You don't need many but the Driftwood is great for them. Betta's don't use as many hides and will benefit more from the plants than they will from hides. I hardly ever use hides in my tanks.

3. Yes but no more than 9 Betta's (Absolutely no other tankmates in these type of tanks) and no less then 3 girls.

4. Nope, the filter will help disturb chases when they occur so it's great.

5. For the initial adding of the females if you get three or more then you can just add them right away. Make sure to watch carefully for any diseases and buy healthy fish, do NOT buy any fish that may even possibly be sick, you will have a bad time! So you can either buy all the females at once between 3-9 or you can start with 3 and wait for a while until you find more that you want to add in. For the new girls you will need to quarantine (keep completely separate) for the minimum of two weeks, one month is much better for the safety of your girls.

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1 to both Aqua and lilnaugrim :)

I'd also like to add though, in response to lilnaugrim of course, it's perfectly okay to purchase/rescue a sick betta as long as you intend to keep him/her separate and want to nurse them back to health, of course. They will appreciate the TLC <3

For the purposes of the sorority, though, it is vital of course to make sure everyone is healthy and quarantined as previously mentioned. Diseases can be contagious and neither you nor the girls need the pressure and stress of a whole tank becoming ill.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I'd also like to add though, in response to lilnaugrim of course, it's perfectly okay to purchase/rescue a sick betta as long as you intend to keep him/her separate and want to nurse them back to health, of course. They will appreciate the TLC <3
If the fish is never entering into the sorority then that is fine. But in the case of a sorority, if the fish has been sick before then there is more of a chance that she will become sick again in the sorority with the high stress environment. Now, you can take that chance and you might be one of the lucky few but if you or anyone else wants to give the sorority a fuller life, then best to avoid that.

But yes, if they will lead a solitary or community life away from a sorority, that's fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts