Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola!

I have a new betta and I'm kinda worried about it because almost every time i look at him and he's taking a food pellet in his mouth, he spits it back out. is that normal? should i be worried? does he not like the food? or is it something else?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hola!

I have a new betta and I'm kinda worried about it because almost every time i look at him and he's taking a food pellet in his mouth, he spits it back out. is that normal? should i be worried? does he not like the food? or is it something else?

It is not unusual for a Betta to lose his appetite after moving to a new home. Give him a day or two to get acclimated.

Jeff.

·
Registered
729 Posts
don't worrie .. sometimes betta's will do this if the pellet is too large for them to chomp on them .. or if they are too hard to crush .. or it can be possible they don't like it .. sometimes it can take a while for them to get used to new foods as he is a new betta .. so he might not be used to the food your offering yet .. give him some time to adjust ..

if after a while he still is not accepting of the food then i would suggest crushing the pellets so they are smaller and easier to eat and see if that works .. if not .. then you can also try to pre-soak the pellets in a little cup filled with tank water for a few minutes before feeding .. if he still spits them put .. then follow the same procedure but add in fresh garlic juice from a crushed raw garlic .. this usually does the trick

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
here this will help, soak the pellet in clean tank water for a minute before feeding it to him to soften it, or try a new brand

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've seen many species of fish do this with both pellets and flakes. I think it's their version of chewing. I've noticed they will take the same bit of food and keep spitting it out and sucking it in. Finally when the food breaks up into bits, they eat the bits. I've noticed my betta does this with his pellets.

Just make sure you don't give too much food. I give my boy only 2 or 3 betta pellets (Hikari) per feeding.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My fish do this too, especially the small ones like tetras. butg i thought the OP meant spits it out and doesnt eat it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My fish do this too, especially the small ones like tetras. butg i thought the OP meant spits it out and doesnt eat it.
Yes I think so. I should have mentioned that if there's a lot of food around it can look like they're taking different bits and spitting them out, when they're actually doing it to the same bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts