Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey
I do have my betta splendens nearly one month... and he is making a bubble nest since today. and the part behind his head seems to be very swollen... he is also flaring a lot. A few days (14th) ago I fed him frozen black bloodworms.
Do you think he got abdominal dropsy from the bloodworms.. I am a bit unsure about my boy... It is my first aquarium and my first fish after all...

Hoping for a quick answer
Chiara

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi Chiara,
I too see a little swelling just under his pectoral fins. He looks like he just had a big meal, so if that is not the case then you might want to fast him for about 3 days and see if it passes.

I heard frozen daphnia is a good laxative to give after the three days are up, and you should then be in the clear. What other foods do you give him? My bettas get frozen bloodworms only once a week. I used to give it more often than that at first, until I found out that these are really heavy meals for them, and rather like a treat!

Good foods for Bettas are made by New Life Spectrum, and Omega. What makes them good foods are the ingredients. Bettas are carnivores and a lot of the other types of Betta foods are mostly made from starches and vegetables.

I don't think he has dropsy, but to make sure look at your Betta from above (bird's eye view), if he looks like a pine cone, where the scales are standing up and away from his body, that would be a clear sign of dropsy!

He's got such pretty colouring, good luck with your Betta! :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree with Netti, it looks like he just over ate a little bit. Try not feeding him for a little while. Definitely try the daphnia! My boys are pigs and used to eat EVERYTHING so I had to modify their diet to keep them from bloating. My boys get 3 Omgea PELLETS in the morning, 1-2 at night before bed. The ONLY get bloodworms once in a while...maybe once or twice a week and its just like...1 worm at that.

Are you feeding flakes or pellets? Flakes can cause bloating (that swollen belly look), and can make your water cloudy too. They also allow for over-feeding if you're not careful.

Remember, a betta's stomach is only as big as its eyeball! If you're feeding more than that size amount its probably too much for the little guy.

Best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts