Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My male betta started staying close to the top of the water with his mouth very close to the surface, getting air every once in a while, and sometimes blowing bubbles. I thought he was making a bubble nest but he doesn't seem to be very energetic and isn't focusing on a nest.
I just did a 50% water change just in case the water wasn't fresh.
Also, in the tank are 4 snails (2 medium and 2 tiny) and a small pleco.
It is a 10 gal tank with filter (one size down from tank size) and heaters (keep the tank at approx 79)
My betta is fairly new and was energetic during the day time when I first got him.
He shows no other symptoms besides lethargy and favouring the top of the water.
What could be causing this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes, one size smaller than tank (so the current isn't too strong)
Does it have a heater? Yes, keeps tank at appriox. 79 F (Though it is showing 75 F right now???)
What temperature is your tank? 75 F (Normally 79 F)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 4 Snails (2 tiny and 2 medium) and a small pleco

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One Natural Protein Formula Betta Buffet
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: (Kit did not test for ammonia)
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.0
Hardness (GH): 180 ppm
Alkalinity (KH): 120 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Today
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? No
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Yes, not as active and favouring the top of the water, with his mouth close to the surface
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? 50% water change, added 12 drops of Betta Fix
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, he is fairly new.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? About 2 weeks, and he appeared to be perfectly fine and healthy and energetic.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,225 Posts
Please fill out the entire form. Every question on there is important in assessing a Betta. We also need at least one photo. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That wasn't the entire form? And I don't have a photo at the moment, as I am not at home. Please just give me suggestions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, sorry. I did the "undo" (ctrl+z) action and must have hit it too many times.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Twice...(had my betta about 2 weeks) Did a water change about an hour ago
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip
What additives do you use? Water conditioner, and just added about 13 drops of Betta Fix when I did my water change

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,225 Posts
It's very hard to give informed suggestions without a photo, too. However, a low temperature of 75 will cause lethargy; also, if your Nitrite is .5 *after* a 50% water change it was high enough to compromise your boy's immune system. I would suggest three things:

1. Get a liquid Ammonia test. The Ammonia level is the most important parameter for an aquarist to know. Liquid tests are more cost efficient than strips and you'll be doing a lot of testing for Ammonia.
2. Get a bottle of Seachem Prime. It is dosed at two drops per gallon.
3. Follow this tutorial and cycle your tank. It also explains the reason for the Ammonia Test and Prime.
http://www.bettafish.com/30-betta-fish-care/507585-cycling-two-sentence-tutorial.html

When cycling a tank I do 25% water changes if Ammonia or Nitrite reach .25ppm; but .50ppm is okay. Once your tank is stable with 0ppm Ammonia and Nitrite and Nitrates under 15-20 you will only have to do one 25% water change per week at your current stocking. If you add more you will have to keep track of the Ammonia level for a week or two to make sure everything stays stable.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts