Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta (purchase about 1 1/2 years ago) was sick a month ago with Swim Bladder, then Fin Rot followed by Cotton Mouth. Through the month I initially gave him Epsom Salt and Aquaruim Salt, Tetraycyline and then with Erythromycin. At different times.

I have him in a small container (sized like the one he came in). I cut a whole in the small tupperware so the water can circulate into the tupperware too. He is eating well. His pectoral fins are now improving but still not all back. There are still some gaps in his fins. The cotton mouth looks better too. The white is not as white prior to treatment.

Now however, he actually sits in the bottom of the cup with his head facing up towards the water. He is still under the water but he sits. He moves around wtih his fins but doesn't seem like his tail is moving. I saw gold dust on his tail and part of the fins but not the body. I can see the gold when I flash my flashlight on him to check.

I also tried to put him back in his original tank but he just stayed on the bottom of the tank and rushes up to breath and comes back down. He doesn't to be swimming well and panting so I put him back in his floated tank and added Stress Coat.

Should I try to treat his Velvet now? Though some say that Velvet is overdiagnosed so I haven't started his treatment and not sure what to give him now. He totally freaks out in his old tank and seems to prefer his little cup. He seems listless but moves when you do something to his tank because he thinks he's getting fed. I've never seen a fish sitting up like that.

Any advise would help. I think I've tried everything and don't want to kill him and I don't even know what could be the problem now.

• He is in a 2.5 gallon tank floating in a small tupperware container.
  • A 2.5 glass tank
  • I turned off the light
  • A 10 watt heater
  • 80 - 82 degrees
  • Fluval 2.5 tank with filter
  • Ornaments and/or plants (none)
  • Water Conditioner (Prime and Stress Coat and a pinch of Aquarium salt
  • A test kit (API ammonia test kit)
  • New Life and Omega one
  • Aquarium salt for treating potential illnesses (yes)
  • Water seems fine. Took water to aquarium store and said there a slight bit of Nitrite so I am now using drinking water instead of tap and water seems better.

· Registered
2,239 Posts
The gold on his fins is likely just iridescence. Velvet will be on the body and your boy will display signs of itchiness.

If you feel he is unhappy in his tank now you can always lower the water level and release him in then, this way there is less tank space initially and you can scale up from there. Bettas sitting at the bottom or hiding a lot when moved is fairly common. He may just be a nervous boy and has gotten used to his tiny sick tank.

Keep in mind that anti bacterials wipe out a lot of the good bacteria inside an animal's system which can lead them to having stomach upsets or colds/other illnesses. Your boy is just building up his strength again after his close call.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks appreciate your reply. Going crazy trying to figure what to do next.

I will try your method of adapting him back to his tank. As far as his water goes, should I continue treating with Prime and Stress Coat and leave out the AS? I'm so afraid of messing up his water again.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help! I'll keep my eye on him and see if I can slowly move him back into his normal tank. I'll continue the Stress Coat, Prime and AS till he is back to normal. Thank you once again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.