Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a post about a week or so ago and I’m not sure if it just got lost in the sea of posts, but I wanted to make another one..my betta Iggy hasn’t been eating hardly anything. He’ll have maybe 2 pellets (Omega One Betta Buffet), or a bug or two, or just a little bit of another food, each day for the whole day. Once he gets one pellet, he just ignores every other type of food and swims away from it. Frozen bloodworms, mysis, live bugs, Fluval bug bites, New Life Spectrum small betta pellets, Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes, everything. I’m exhausted, and I feel like he looks much skinnier than when we first got him at the beginning of June. Other than him not eating, he acts totally normal and excited as usual, and it looks like there’s a huge bubble nest in his tank, unless it’s some other bubble source. His parameters are good according to my test strips (I filled out the form on the other post) and his water temp stays right between 78-79°F. I don’t know what to do 😭
Plant Wood Rectangle Leaf vegetable Terrestrial plant
Green Plant Wood Terrestrial plant Urban design
Water Plant Green Liquid Terrestrial plant
Plant Water Botany Nature Leaf
Flower Terrestrial plant Petal Grass Mesh
Plant Green Leaf Flower Textile

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hi! He is absolutely beautiful!!!

He's been a busy boy from the looks of your tank!

Do you try to feed him more than once a day? I have a betta that is hard to feed as well. Sometimes, I have to try to feed him one pellet, then wait a couple of hours, and then feed another. Have you tried this before?

Also, garlic juice is used for picky eaters. You can soak his pellets, flakes, etc., in some of water that garlic has been soaking in, and see if he will go for it. Garlic is great for his immune system. You can find cut garlic soaking in water in many grocery stores. If you can't find it, there is a product called Garlic Guard by Seachem that you could try. Or, if you would rather, you can make your own. This may help a bit.

Some of the bubbles can be made by the outflow you the filter, but not that much. Some of that has to be his bubble nests. When you change the water, you will no doubt get rid of some of that.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! He is absolutely beautiful!!!

He's been a busy boy from the looks of your tank!

Do you try to feed him more than once a day? I have a betta that is hard to feed as well. Sometimes, I have to try to feed him one pellet, then wait a couple of hours, and then feed another. Have you tried this before?

Also, garlic juice is used for picky eaters. You can soak his pellets, flakes, etc., in some of water that garlic has been soaking in, and see if he will go for it. Garlic is great for his immune system. You can find cut garlic soaking in water in many grocery stores. If you can't find it, there is a product called Garlic Guard by Seachem that you could try. Or, if you would rather, you can make your own. This may help a bit.

Some of the bubbles can be made by the outflow you the filter, but not that much. Some of that has to be his bubble nests. When you change the water, you will no doubt get rid of some of that.

Thank you sooo much!! Yes I’ve been trying Garlic Guard, it doesn’t seem to help much :/ But my boyfriend has been feeding him multiple times today, and each time he’ll take one pellet and then ignore the others. According to him he’s had 2 so far today so that’s good! We’ll try feeding him multiple times throughout the day and go from there. On the days when we both work we won’t be able to do that but 4/7 days of the week there will be someone home :) He’s being such a stinker😂

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Rose of sharon @sparkyjoe @betta4ever!

Hi again everyone ☺ So he’s going through another phase of not eating..after I made this post he slowly started eating more again until he got back up to 4 pellets in the morning and 4 in the evening. Then slowly about 2 weeks ago he went down to 3 in the morning and evening, ignoring the 4th one each time. Then slowly progressed to eating just one pellet every time we feed him or none at all. I try blood worms, but he spits them out, eats it again, spits it out, eats it again over and over. GarlicGuard sometimes works but not really. I made a post recently about a day where he had a white poop stuck to him, and someone said it could just be constipation. His water conditions are the same as I put in that post, and he acts normal other than this eating issue.

Do you think he just goes on hunger strikes every once in a while?😅 I’m not sure what to do with him! I try and feed him multiple times a day since I’m currently not working so I’m home more often, but like I said it’ll just be one or none, and the last few days he’s only gotten 1-3 for a whole day.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@RussellTheShihTzu

Sorry!!!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5.5gal

Does it have a filter? Yes, HOB

Does it have a heater? Yes, Hydor Theo 25W

What temperature is your tank? 78-80°F

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One Betta Buffet pellets mainly, sometimes frozen blood worms

Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets, I have fed flakes before

Freeze-dried? Rarely freeze dried bloodworms

How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2x a day, 4 pellets each time. Depends on the other foods. I fed my last betta 2x a day, 3 pellets each and he became malnourished so I feed more now and just watch his weight

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week

What percentage of water did you change? 40-50%

What is the source of your water? Tap water

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum as well as I can with the decorations he has in place

What additives do you use other than conditioner?
Seachem Neutral Regulator (due to the pH level in my tap water), VitaChem, sometimes API StressZyme

What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

This is right before his water change today, so this is testing after a week of no water change

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: around 7.0
Hardness (GH): around 100ppm
Alkalinity (KH): around 110ppm

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? He’s been slowly eating less over the past week or two

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Doesn’t seem to be different at all

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not eating as much, but he has gone through a phase before where he eats less. After a bit he got back into normal routine but now he’s doing it again

Is your Betta still eating? Sometimes, much less. 1-3 pellets a day all at different times. I tried frozen bloodworms but he only ate one and then the next one he kept chewing and spitting up over and over again. Garlic Guard sometimes help but not usually

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No, not sure how to

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, just history of eating less for a week or two then going back to normal

How long have you owned your Betta? Since early June 2022, just a few months

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No, didn’t seem to be

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hi @clerbird321,

Have you tried giving him a fasting day every week? If not, that might help.

My betta did go through phases like this. He would maybe eat one or two pellets a day, and then the next week he was eating 5 or 6 pellets a day.

Besides a fasting day every week, you might try another type of frozen food, like baby brine shrimp or mysis shrimp or daphnia. The daphnia is really good because it acts like a natural laxative and keeps the digestive system in good working order. New Life Spectrum has a food called Thera + A that is a pellet food that is also laced with garlic. It comes in different sizes so if you want to try that, pay attention to the pellet size.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I’m curious about the bubbles in his tank. You made another post about there being bubbles in the tank before you added him.

It’s probably nothing, I’m just curious about whether there are always bubbles or if you’ve seen him building bubble nests all around his tank?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi @clerbird321,

Have you tried giving him a fasting day every week? If not, that might help.

My betta did go through phases like this. He would maybe eat one or two pellets a day, and then the next week he was eating 5 or 6 pellets a day.

Besides a fasting day every week, you might try another type of frozen food, like baby brine shrimp or mysis shrimp or daphnia. The daphnia is really good because it acts like a natural laxative and keeps the digestive system in good working order. New Life Spectrum has a food called Thera + A that is a pellet food that is also laced with garlic. It comes in different sizes so if you want to try that, pay attention to the pellet size.

I haven’t tried that, that’s a good idea!! And okay, I’ll give the daphnia a shot as well! I have mysis shrimp, I’ll try those and see if he likes them more. He used to spit them out, but I’ll give them another shot. Thank you☺

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m curious about the bubbles in his tank. You made another post about there being bubbles in the tank before you added him.

It’s probably nothing, I’m just curious about whether there are always bubbles or if you’ve seen him building bubble nests all around his tank?
So I think I’ve been him building the nests, but I’m not around the tank all day so I’m not 100%, but there was one day where I felt like I saw him blowing a bubble in the area of one of the bubble spots, then going away, then going back and blowing more. There always seems to be bubbles in his tank, more so than my other betta’s tank. I didn’t use the Neutral Regulator or StressZyme in my old betta’s tank, and there’s of course new decorations and such in this one. So I never really figured out where the bubbles came from. I know some of it is nests but not sure about all of it. There isn’t as many this week as it seemed like there used to be though.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Interesting. It could very well be that he’s just bubble nesting everywhere. I just wondered about it and remembered a previous post about there being bubbles. Is anything other than the tank a carryover from when your last betta died?

You said you tried live food… was that the flightless fruit flies from the pet store or something wild caught by you?

Maybe @RussellTheShihTzu could look at your pictures to see what she thinks about his weight.

I’m horrible with judging body condition on bettas. Dogs? No problem! Bettas? Still a work in progress…

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. It could very well be that he’s just bubble nesting everywhere. I just wondered about it and remembered a previous post about there being bubbles. Is anything other than the tank a carryover from when your last betta died?

You said you tried live food… was that the flightless fruit flies from the pet store or something wild caught by you?

Maybe @RussellTheShihTzu could look at your pictures to see what she thinks about his weight.

I’m horrible with judging body condition on bettas. Dogs? No problem! Bettas? Still a work in progress…
I will post some pics of him asap! And actually, I ended up buying a new tank for Iggy, the old one was having silicone peeling and I did not wanna deal with it😂😂 So everything is new except for the heater which I’m about to replace because it’s being funky with its temp knob lol. And the live food was short lived, he liked them sometimes but not always, picky stinker😂 They were these bugs…
Product Font Publication Ingredient Advertising

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Ah yes. I’ve contemplated getting those. And then I’ve imagined myself chasing them all over the kitchen while the dog freaks out. That’s usually when I put them back on the shelf.

·
Super Moderator
2,086 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you have a cleaning routine for your filter? When was the last time you cleaned it? You never want to do more than swish it out in old tank water, but if you don't do that often enough, sometimes it will start spitting out bubbles like that. Plus other nasties. A lot of those bubbles do look like a bubble nest, but I've never seen a bubble nest that close to the filter outflow. That could just be my limited experience though.

Do you use any kind of fertilizer for your plants?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just out of curiosity, do you have a cleaning routine for your filter? When was the last time you cleaned it? You never want to do more than swish it out in old tank water, but if you don't do that often enough, sometimes it will start spitting out bubbles like that. Plus other nasties. A lot of those bubbles do look like a bubble nest, but I've never seen a bubble nest that close to the filter outflow. That could just be my limited experience though.

Do you use any kind of fertilizer for your plants?
I really only clean it when I think about it, it’s probably been a couple months. And yes, I just swish it in old tank water. How often am I supposed to do that? I can never find a concrete answer on that but I might just be dumb😅 The last bubble area was far from the filter, and he had been hanging around that area a lot so I was pretty convinced it was a nest. And nope, no fertilizer.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts