Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When was this?

"How has your Betta’s behavior changed? 'Not eating as much, but he has gone through a phase before where he eats less. After a bit he got back into normal routine but now he’s doing it again'."
Early July! It’s this thread that I got answers for that time, I just added to this when he started doing it again last week :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi all, so he’s still on a hunger strike🤦‍♀️ Still just eating 1-3 pellets a day. There was one day he ate 4 and I was real excited, but then back to the same the next day😕 I try frozen foods but he doesn’t act any different with those, and I am going to try and find some frozen Daphnia and give that a shot. He is still active and always happy to see me, albeit he rests a bit more but I think he’s just gotten more comfortable in his tank since when we first got him he was very hyperactive. Any ideas from you guys as to why he does this?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@KatieMR @RussellTheShihTzu @sparkyjoe @Rose of sharon @betta4ever!

Hi everyone sorry to bug you again..I just don’t know what to do :( He now only wants to eat bloodworms and will swim away from everything else OR chew and spit them out. He acts all excited to eat and is super active when I’m over next to him (he’s been resting a bit more often and doesn’t have a bubble nest this week but is super excited when I’m over there with him). I’m not sure whether to go buy more of those betta bugs or try something else..I tried lots of different foods today but he just wasn’t into it, he ate one bloodworm. Sorry all, I don’t mean to bother you, just trying to figure out what I can do 😅

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Thank you for posting the pictures! He is a bit skinny, but not super skinny. If this were my fish, I would not be too worried for him, as long as he is still active.

Have you tried soaking any of the foods in garlic? A lot of times that will help a reluctant eater. How long are you leaving the food in the tank before you take it out? Are you staying at the tank while you wait for him to eat? I've never personally experienced this, but I've heard some betta owners report that their fish gets too excited to eat when they are in the room.

As a general rule, I don't worry too much if a betta spits out the food, unless they don't ever come back for it. Usually that means they are just eating bits of it at a time. If I were in your position, I would stop offering him blood worms for a week and see if he will start taking the pellets again once he figures out that is the food he is going to get. I would soak one or two pellets in garlic juice at a time, put something underneath to catch them if they sinks, then leave the room for an hour.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you for posting the pictures! He is a bit skinny, but not super skinny. If this were my fish, I would not be too worried for him, as long as he is still active.

Have you tried soaking any of the foods in garlic? A lot of times that will help a reluctant eater. How long are you leaving the food in the tank before you take it out? Are you staying at the tank while you wait for him to eat? I've never personally experienced this, but I've heard some betta owners report that their fish gets too excited to eat when they are in the room.

As a general rule, I don't worry too much if a betta spits out the food, unless they don't ever come back for it. Usually that means they are just eating bits of it at a time. If I were in your position, I would stop offering him blood worms for a week and see if he will start taking the pellets again once he figures out that is the food he is going to get. I would soak one or two pellets in garlic juice at a time, put something underneath to catch them if they sinks, then leave the room for an hour.
I soaked the BW in garlic and that worked..I think I’ve tried soaking the pellets as well but I haven’t done it recently so I’ll give that a shot. Hm that’s a good point, I always stay at the tank and only leave the food in for a minute or less because he always swims off, maybe I’ll try that. I have a little food hoop that floats at the surface and suctions to the side of the tank so I’ll put that in there. I’m not sure what to use to catch the pellets though…I’ll try to find something!

Yeah he will chew and spit out multiple times sometimes, and yesterday he did that but he did come back to finish the BW, if he does it with pellets, 90% of the time he won’t come back for it and it sinks to the bottom.

Thank you so so much for your reply. I’ll report back! This guy is stressing me out😂 He was SUCH a good little eater when we first got him, idk what happened! It makes me feel awful and I’m hoping he’s just being a stinker and it’s not something I messed up and can’t figure out because everything else is perfect (I think haha)

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
If you have a plant of some kind, or a leaf hammock those work to catch the food. I usually use a piece of decoration: the tree house in my tank has steps that I put the food over so I can see where it lands if Raj doesn't catch it.

If the is chewing and spitting out again, he is getting food, even if it's not as much as you want him to get. If, after you've tried the other options, he is still doing that, you might see if you can get smaller pellets or break the ones you have up a bit more. Is he still pooping regularly? Are his poops little blobs the same color as his food? Or do they tend to be whitish and long?

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
I'd stop removing the food after such a short time. Best to leave in at least five minutes.

Do you feed the same time each day? I had a friend who nearly starved her poodle to death. It was a year-old rescue. She would put his dish down around suppertime. After she and family finished eating she'd pick it up; never touched. One evening she forgot. The next morning the dish was empty. She had a night eater who was only comfortable eating when the house was quiet.

If the garlic doesn't work try adding pellets to a bottle with some chopped up Bloodworms. Offer him just small pieces of Bloodworm; not a whole one. I feed Gamma Mini Bloodworms but San Francisco Bay Shop from the Best Pet Supplies Store in Lindenhurst – Pets Warehouse has them, too. If you can find them you won't need to chop. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
@KatieMR

Okay perfect, thank you so much. As for the poop, I have only seen his poop once and that was a week or two ago when I posted about it because it was pure white and long and stuck on him and I panicked lol. Other than that I have never seen his poop, maybe it blends in with my gravel or I need to look more?

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Usually if you don't see him pooping that is a good thing: they are small and mostly get lost in the substrate. I was just wondering if he was constipated: my boy went off his food when he was constipated, and wouldn't eat anything until I tried frozen daphnia. A couple meals of that and he was cleaned out and eating regularly again. Raj has a special taste for daphnia, though, and he was definitely constipated, so I don't usually suggest daphnia as a get-your-fish-eating-again trick. It doesn't sound like that is what is going on with Iggy, so I would try the other suggestions before you go trying to hunt up daphnia!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@KatieMR @RussellTheShihTzu

i currently have this setup going on😂 pellets soaked in garlic and bloodworms. I offered him one small worm and he ate that, offered pellets and he ignored them, so I found this betta hammock I had stored away, cleaned it up and placed them on there. I’ll leave his light on for about 10 more mins and then turn it off for the night and see if he ate them in a couple hours before I go to bed🤞🤞
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Leaf Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well…he didn’t eat them. If he’s not swimming around he’s in the back left corner with his leaf hammock, and he’s currently building a bubble nest. He’s confusing me😂😭 He’s been hanging out in that corner a lot, not sure why. I just put a few more garlic soaked pellets on the hammock in the front and left the room. We’ll see

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@KatieMR
Here is all the sides and from the top! The back is covered with black cardstock that I put there when we first got him to hopefully help his stress and glass surfing. He of course saw me taking this pics and swam super fast up to the front lol. The dark thing on the side of the tank is an IAL, and I have his floating log taped with some fishing wire to keep it from floating to the filter (it looks tacky I know😂😂) You can see his bubble nest from the top shot, that’s the corner he’s been hanging out in.

Plant Water Light Green Houseplant

Plant Water Pet supply Organism Aquatic plant

Green Purple Plant Wood Art

Plant Organism Wood Pet supply Aquatic plant

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
It looks like you have a couple of live plants in there. Have you by any chance been seeing little white specks on your glass that move? Have you noticed him picking at any of the plants or the moss balls? I'm wondering if he has a source of live food in there.

Just on an unrelated note, are those an anubias and a java fern at the front? If so, you will want to unbury their rhizomes (the thick parts where the leaves attach). They tend to rot if they are buried. You can leave the roots buried if you want; you can also superglue them to decorations if you want.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
@KatieMR

Yes, they are an Anubias and a Java fern! Okay I did try unburying them but maybe I didn’t do enough lol, I’ll do that!! I don’t see him picking at them no, but I notice sometimes that there’s tiny specks on the glass but I don’t think I see them move…I will go take a closer look to see if I see any there.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts